Road trips can make me nervous about sticking to my diet because I love snacking while I drive! But, as long as I can find some low calorie road trip snacks to bring, I usually return from the trip without gaining too much weight!
We just got back from two consecutive weekends of road trips in Utah. The first was to visit with my family in the St. George/Zion National Park area. The second trip was with my in-laws to the Moab/ Green River area. Both are places I love to visit. Both drives are only 3.5-4 hours one way, but after an exhausting hot day of hiking, the drowsiness sets in and snacking is one of my favorite ways to stay awake.
I also like chewing gum to stay awake, but that can often get out of hand, and my husband has started complaining about the noises I make when I veraciously chew my gum. The more I try to stay awake, the louder the crackling of my gum gets. (lol)
For a low calorie road trip snack to make my list, it only needs to be easy to eat and fit into my hands. Trail mix would be awesome, and is part of so many ‘healthy road trip snack’ lists, but I holy hannah! THE CALORIES! If I started chowing down on trail mix while I drive, there is nothing stopping me from inhaling 2000 calories in a 30 minute window. Trail mix can not come in the car with me!
So, I’ve successfully narrowed down the best snacks for the car, with the least amount of calories!
MY FAVORITE LOW CALORIE ROAD TRIP SNACKS
Fruit road trip snacks
- Grapes- 1 cup of raw grapes averages 61 calories.
- Dried apricots- 5 dried apricots for 100 calories.
- Squeezeable applesauce – 50 calories for one pouch.
- Sliced apples – 35 calories for pre-bagged sliced apples.
- Fruit leather – 45 calories for Stretch Island Fruit Leather (100% fruit)
- Freeze dried pineapples – 1/2 cup is 60 calories.
Veggie road trip snacks
- Baby carrots – 3 ounces 35 calories
- Sugar snap peas – 42 calories for 3.5 ounces
- Roasted Seaweed – 20 calories per serving
- Grape Tomatoes – 3 ounces for 30 calories
- Celery Sticks – 10 calories per stalk
Protein road trip snacks
- Roasted chickpeas – 144 calories for 1/3 cup for this recipe.
- Beef Jerky- 100 calories for this entire bag of Jack Links Teriyaki
- Hard boiled eggs- 70 calories each
- String Cheese 70-80 calories each
- Crunchy broad beans –100 calories for this entire bag
Grain road trip snacks
- Popcorn (Skinny Pop) Single serving bags for 100 calories
- Pretzels 100 calories per ounce.
- Cereal -120 calories per cup
- Low calorie crackers. Calories in crackers can get outrageous, but these Special K ones have 80 calories per serving. That’s about the lowest I’ve seen, but I’m still looking!
- Low calorie granola bars (My favorite is chewy Quaker (100 calorie bars)
I need to add that my best advice is not snacking at all! In fact, my article “stop snacking to lose weight” is one of my most popular posts on this blog. I even have considered several anti-snacking challenges. But road trips are the exception, and let’s face it, real life! And since I just got back, I wanted to share that I DO snack on vacation!
So, what are your favorite low calorie road trip snacks?
- Homemade Cinnamon Protein Donut Recipe
- Quick and Tasty Chocolate Protein Kodiak Cookies
- Best Low Calorie Chocolate Kodiak Cakes
- 21 Best Low Calorie Road Trip Snacks
- Low Calorie Peanut Butter Cookies
Hi! I’m Amy, creator and owner of Heath Beet. I share low calorie recipes and portion control hacks to get you eating healthier, feel lighter, and satisfied with less food, to make weight loss finally possible! (Read all about me and my health journey here!)