It might be tempting on a road trip to grab a treat at the closest gas station, but that’s just going to leave you sluggish and moody, which ruins a vacation! Instead reach for some nutrient rich, healthy snacks, and you’ll have more energy to do the fun things you wanted to do while on vacation.
In selecting these snacks, I was looking for food that:
- Didn’t contain added sugars,
- Were good in a nutrient such as fiber, protein, or micronutrients.
- Would help you practice portion control.
- Not messy and you can eat with your fingers!
10 Healthy Travel Snack Ideas
- Dried Apples– If you dry your own apples, one full apple, small or medium will range in calories from 75-85 calories. Slice one apple, sprinkle with cinnamon, and put in a dehydrator for a sweet snack.
- Roasted chickpeas– For 1/2 cup of chickpeas, you’ll get about 100 calories, 4 grams fiber, and 6 grams of protein. Simply rinse chickpeas, and dry them. Then spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt or other seasonings. Then roast them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes.
- Popcorn– 3 tablespoons of popcorn kernels is 100 calories, 4 grams of protein, and 6 grams of fiber! Check out the popcorn method I like best, here!
- Homemade Protein balls– These are great to have on a mini trip! Homemade versions like this no bake protein ball is only 83 calories. Leave the chocolate off for less mess and fewer calories.
- Trail Mix Trail mix is where you can go over your calories very easily. Put a Costco bag of trail mix in the center console, and you can mindlessly eat your way to 1000 calories, without realizing it. Most trail mix, 100 calories will be on small palmful!
- Baby Carrots– Good bang for your buck here! You can have almost an entire bag of petite baby carrots for 100 calories. 140 grams of carrots to be exact.
- Hard Boiled Eggs: This is actually one of my favorite portable foods because it’s packed with protein and low in calories. (here’s my last menu for a 2 day trip where I ate hard boiled eggs) For 72 calories, you can have a delicious hard boiled egg! Don’t forget the salt.
- Cucumber sticks, or cocktail cucumbers. The cocktail cucumbers at Costco are only 5 calories each! Go ahead and fill up on these!
- String Cheese– I love how easy, and not messy, string cheese is to eat. 80 calories for classic, but you can also get light string cheese for 50. Then you can eat two!
- Homemade Mini Muffins– these are preferable to regular muffins, not just for the mess factor, but regular muffins can be very high in calories. Here are some 25 calorie muffins that are perfect for the road.
And that’s it! Enjoy your next vacation, without feeling sluggish or sick, but eating the best, healthy, nutrient rich snacks on the way.