This protein “fat boy” Ice cream sandwich is a healthy alternative to the classic ice cream treat. This homemade version has HALF the carbs and fat, and double the protein as the classic Fat Boy Ice cream sandwiches, but tastes just as good.Jump to Recipe
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
As soon as I saw chocolate graham crackers in the grocery store, I knew I wanted to try my own version of the popular ice cream sandwiches called “Fat Boys“. This way I could save calories, fat, and sugar! Classic Fat Boy Sandwiches have 210 calories, 4 g protein, 32 carbs and 8 grams of fat. My homemade version has 130 calories, 8 grams of protein, 15 g carbs and 3 g of fat! HALF the carbs and fat, and double the protein!
The problem was, the next time I went back to the store, the chocolate graham crackers were gone! I had no luck getting my hands on a box for 2 full years.
And then a few weeks ago, they returned to my local Kroger (Smith’s) grocery! So, I grabbed some and got to work.
Lucky for me, it was also right after I got my Ninja Creami ice cream maker! The benefit to having the ice cream maker is simply in the smooth, creaminess that you can get from the ice cream! I love mine so much!
Ingredients for Protein Ice cream Sandwiches
To make the protein ice cream sandwiches, there are two steps. First, make the ice cream!
- First, I used vanilla protein powder. I’m pretty benign when it comes to vanilla powder for ice cream. I like Clean simple eats, but today I used UMP (a casein/whey blend). I’ve done both for ice cream, and they both turn out great.
- Then, I used Vanilla unsweetened almond milk for the liquid because it’s only 30 calories per cup, and tastes like vanilla.
- And finally, for extra creaminess, I used vanilla sugar free pudding mix.
After the ice cream ingredients are blended and frozen, Then,
- Grab your Chocolate graham crackers. Although Nabisco claims to have these, I’ve never actually seen them in a store. Ever. The only one’s I’ve seen were from Smith’s (a Kroger store). But, to make this ice cream sandwich like a “fat boy” you’ve got to have them. For 1 full sheet they are 65 calories. (so two halves)
Let me know if you decide to try these, or what other graham cracker ice cream combinations we should try next!
Healthy Protein Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich
- 6 sheets chocolate graham crackers
- Make ice cream by blending protein powder, almond milk, and sugar free pudding mix in a blender.
- Put in freezer for about 6 hours, or until mostly frozen. I blended in a creami at this point, but a food processor may work as well.
- Line a cake pan with parchment paper and arrange half sheets of the graham crackers, 6 across the bottom.
- Top with ice cream and spread till all crackers have ice cream.
- Top with second graham cracker and return to the freezer until frozen.
PIN THIS FOR LATER AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!