These 42 weight loss motivation quotes have helped me and countless others to keep working towards a healthy lifestyle. So read along and find the one that will guide you in your fitness journey!
Why are Weight Loss Motivation Quotes Important?
Weight loss is one of those things that is deeply personal. Often, it involves vulnerable feelings about the things we most dislike about ourselves. And, usually, weight loss is a slow process that requires discipline, perseverance, and patience. Because of this, it is easy to get discouraged and want to quit.
Motivational quotes about weight loss can help to counteract the negative thoughts in our head that say we aren’t strong enough to keep going, that it will never work, and even that it is pointless to try.
Weight loss motivational quotes are a tool to change the way you think about your weight loss process and everything that goes into that. (workouts, eating, body image, and so much more!)
Quotes To Get You Going!
It has been a long road for me when it comes to fitness, so I GET IT. (Read my story here)!
I felt like a failure for YEARS, but I just kept trying. My hope is that every time you fall down, you will pick yourself up and try again.
These are quotes that have helped me continue with courage and hope, even when I felt frustrated or discouraged. Hopefully, they will help you too!
- “Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” – Victor Frankl
There are two important lessons I learned in mindful eating.
- One is to consciously choose your food. Don’t just react to impulsive cravings.
- And the second is to not be distracted while you eat a meal. When you don’t notice the food you’re eating, you’ll never be satisfied by food.
- “Our weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” – Thomas A. Edison
I tried soooo many different diets and food trends. And while those didn’t work out for me, I am glad that I kept going. Eventually, I figured out how to live a healthy, sustainable lifestyle. BUT I never would’ve gotten there if I had given up.
- “You are not defined today by the feelings you felt yesterday”
The LAST thing I want you to do is look at the number today and decide that it means your plan is or isn’t working.
Whether you “messed up” yesterday, or you did great yesterday, today is a new day and the scale does not reflect whether you were good or bad yesterday.
- “The temptation to quit will be the greatest, just before you are about to succeed!” – Bob Parsons
Only you can decide if a life of discipline is more joyful than a life of indulgence.
But I promise you this, you might love the results sooo much that you’ll never go back to eating impulsively. I know I did!
- One study found, “NOT eating a food reduced cravings more effectively than eating the food!” – Harvard
Have you found that when you have a craving and RESIST it, the craving goes away faster than if you give in? When I give into a craving, I just want MORE! I’m never satisfied.
So, taking my own advice to practice the resistance tomorrow!
- “Success is the sum of small efforts, day in and day out” – Robert Collier
What’s one small thing you are doing, that you consider a success for the day- even if you went a bit over on calories or missed your workout? Did you drink water instead of soda? Did you get 10K steps in, even though you didn’t strength train?
Acknowledge those, because even the small wins matter!!
- “There’s never a perfect time. You’re never 100% ready. Things are constantly changing (and that’s ok).”
How many times have you told yourself that you’ll start your new program once you have “all the pieces in place”. Or have all the information. Or read the book.
NEWS FLASH: You’ll never be 100% ready! Just do something today!
- “What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.”-
IDENTITY! Who are you, or who do you want to be? What’s your personal brand?
Do you want to be known as
- That fit neighbor
- The person that can walk past a plate of cookies without being tempted?
- That girl with incredible discipline
- That friend that always brings the most amazing healthy appetizers to a party.
- The mom that is always first to volunteer to take the kids roller blading or for a pickup game of frisbee?
- “Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of doing it. The time will pass anyway; We might as well put that passing time to the best possible use.” – Earl Nightingale
Realistically, how long do you think it will take to reach your goal weight? When I thought it would take too long to lose weight, I gave up before it happened.
Time will pass regardless, so let’s get on it!
- “Those who have a ‘why’ to live, can bear with almost any ‘how’.” – Victor Frankl
I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to remember why you decided you want to lose weight. It’s worth revisiting DAILY!
- Write it in your planner.
- Put it on a post-it note.
- Repeat it in a mirror.
- Audio record yourself saying it and listen often.
Doing this can get you through the TOUGHEST of times, if you TRULY believe in your why.
- “Die with memories, not dreams!”
Living a full life doesn’t need to include the best bakery in town. Although I love my memories around food, I actually love my memories around people, accomplishments, and experiences more!
So get out there and make some incredible memories! Chase your dreams!
- “You multiply your time by spending time on things today, that will give you more time tomorrow!”
Let’s prep today friends!
Personally, I only meal prep my proteins for the week. If I spend too much time in the kitchen I start to snack! So if you want to be prepared but also want to manage your food intake, try meal prepping a portion of your upcoming meals for the week!
- “Fall 7 Days, Stand Up 8!”
Commitment to your health requires standing back up, every time you fall. So what if it is 10 a.m. and you ate something off-plan? Who cares!! The rest of the day you can practice discipline. Don’t give up!
- ” To lose weight permanently requires faith – faith there is a bigger life waiting for you beyond food and weight!” – Catherine L. Taylor
Do you TRULY believe you can achieve lasting weight loss? I mean REALLY believe it? With a thread of doubt, it’s so easy to give up.
As soon as the thoughts creep in like “what’s the point, I’ll never reach this goal”, I give myself permission to quit.
But, if you TRULY believe that this time is different, you can get there! If you need to use this thought, please do: If Amy can do it, ANYONE can do it!!
- “You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be!” – Marianne Williamson
What’s one NEW Thought you can adopt today, and keep believing until it becomes part of you?
Some ideas could include:
- I don’t like eating after 6:00
- I never eat in front of the TV.
- I never take a second helping.
- I like having veggies with every meal
- “Most people give up just when they’re about to achieve success. They quit on the one-yard line. They give up at the last minute of the game, one foot from a winning touchdown. “ – H. Ross Perot
Practice persistence!! Refuse to give up. The longer you hang in there, the greater the chance that something will happen in your favor.
Weight loss is not linear! Weight loss is not an overnight game. Never give up. Never quit!
- “If you don’t take care of your body, where are you going to live? “ – unknown
Recent studies have shown that even with aggressive weight loss, an individuals health improved (as measured by blood markers) from having less body fat.
Through weight loss you can improve:
- Insulin sensitivity
- Blood glucose regulation
- cardiovascular risk
- Longer life span
- and Energy
- ” True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you don’t need to regularly escape from. “ – Brianna Weist
Before I lost weight, I was stuck in the cycle of overeating because I wasn’t comfortable in my body, and then gaining weight, making the problem worse.
Since losing weight, I have become more confident, more social, and more engaged in my life than ever before.
So, losing weight truly is self-care!
- “You can have results or excuses. NOT BOTH”
Have you heard this week:
- One little bite won’t matter.
- I’m not going to reach my real goals in the next 3 weeks anyway, one more day of indulging is not going to make that much of a difference.
- I had a hard workout today- these extra chocolates will just make everything back to even.
- My friend made her famous peach cobbler, and peaches are perfect right now!
Don’t let the excuses get in the way of your results!
- “IF IT DOESN’T CHALLENGE YOU, IT WON’T CHANGE YOU!” – Frank Devito
Sometimes, when I’m tempted to indulge, I’ll think about a book I own called, “The gift of our compulsions”. And I ACTUALLY tell myself, I’m glad this is hard! I’m grateful that this is my struggle in life. I’ve learned so much about how to face my feelings instead of numb them. How to feel the joy of discipline. And how to change who I am for the better!
- “WHAT YOU EAT IN PRIVATE YOU WEAR IN PUBLIC” – unknown
Moment of vulnerability: I am personally guilty of eating things in private and then promptly shopping to replace the food so no one would know!
The silliness of that idea has really made me think about eating in secret and how you can’t hide it from yourself, so why are you doing it?
- “ONE YEAR FROM NOW, YOU’LL WISH YOU STARTED TODAY” – Healthbeet
Remember this. Next summer, next holiday, next New Year’s is going to be here regardless. You could realistically be at your goal by then if you just start today- no more excuses.
- “NATURE DOES NOT HURRY, YET EVERYTHING IS ACCOMPLISHED” – Lao Tzu
I found studies that show you can lose weight by slowing down your meal time.
So, what do you say? This week let’s work on SLOWING DOWN and chewing your food completely!
- “In any given moment we are either practicing mindfulness or defacto practicing mindlessness.” – Jon Kabo-Zinn
Daily mindful habits can help us make smart, purposeful choices throughout the day.
When we aren’t mindful or aware, we tend to get pulled away from our focus. Our intentions and goals get carried away and lost in thousands of moments as options cross our paths.
What can you do today to practice mindfulness?
- “What matters in life is what we care about and that we will continue to make an effort in caring about it.”
We DO care! We care A LOT!
So, next time you hear yourself say: “Screw it. I just don’t care anymore”, just remember that you DO CARE!
- “Knowledge is a treasure, but practice is the key to it” – Loa Tzu
You tell yourself, you have to learn ALL the things to get your diet just right. You watch YouTube videos, read books, listen to podcasts, read blog posts, all looking for that nugget of information that is going to CHANGE YOUR LIFE!
But, at the end of the day, acquiring more knowledge is just an excuse to postpone moving towards your goals. You ALREADY know what to do to lose weight. I repeat- you ALREADY KNOW what to do to lose weight. Now, let’s go practice it!
- “Never give up what you want most, for what you want today” – Neal A. Maxwell
Do you know what you really want for your future self? Do you want to live your best life with discipline, joy, and confidence?
Crappy, processed treats are never going to bring you lasting joy. Your future self will be happier that you reached your goals, more than bingeing on Nutter Butters.
- ” It’s not about perfect. It’s about effort. And when you bring that effort every single day, that’s where transformation happens. ” – Jillian Michaels
The dictionary defines effort as: “A vigorous or determined attempt.” I love the idea of a determined attempt. Every moment we can show effort by harnessing our determined attempt to stick to our goals.
I noticed one difference between now, and the 25 years I attempted to lose weight and failed. When I would have an imperfect day, it would lead me to days, weeks, and sometimes months of no effort to get back on track.
Today, it’s so different! If I eat off plan, my daily effort is still in force. I can get right back on track with the next bite, the next meal, or the next day. No more month long binges for me!
- ” Losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Choose your hard ”
CHOOSE YOUR HARD!
You tell yourself it’s hard to say no to Oreos, or to stay on track when you’re at a football party. Guess what! That’s not hard. You know what’s hard? Getting out of bed when your joints ache is hard. Carrying around an extra 100 lbs is hard. Finding clothes that fit is hard. Sitting comfortably in a chair is hard.
- “Be Grateful for What You Have. Work for What You Want”
Are you grateful for your challenges? For your ability to move? For your access to good food?
You can, and should, be grateful for all your body can do, while simultaneously strive and work hard for improvement each day!
What can your body do that YOU are grateful for?
- “Your strongest muscle and your worst enemy is your mind. Train it well.”
Decide now the one habit or behavior you will adopt for the LONG term. The more days you practice, the more days you stick with the plan, the more it will become part of your life. At the end of the year, the more days you have with a healthy behavior, the healthier you will be!
- “It’s supposed to be hard. If it weren’t hard, everyone would be doing it. The hard is what makes it great” – A League of Their Own
With literally every single low point that I pass through, comes a brilliant and bright new day! I love new days. I love new starts. And today, is a new start. I no longer need to beat myself up for the weekend or past eating habits. I can learn from it. Practice recovering from it. And I will emerge stronger from it like a Phoenix from the ashes. Burn to emerge.
- “For everything you have missed, you have gained something else” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Food FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) can ruin your weight loss goals. When you are surrounded by delicious food that may be out of the ordinary, it’s natural to want to indulge.
But, think of what you are missing out on by indulging in a temporary pleasure. You are missing out on life. You are missing out on being proud of your accomplishment. AND You are missing out on feeling the joy of discipline.
- “If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.” – Dolly Parton
Can you visualize being at your weight loss your goal (the rainbow!) What does it look like? What rain are you willing to put up with it to see it?
My rain: Feeling all my feelings without food! I didn’t realize how uncomfortable this could be. I have had honest conversations with myself about how much I actually ENJOY mindlessly snacking and forgetting all my problems. So my rain today looks like this: Facing hard conversations, fear, or sadness, without the help of food!
What rain have you had in your past that is bringing you to the rainbow you can now enjoy?
- ” Find What Brings You Joy and Go There” – Jan Phillips
Do you know what brings you joy (beyond food?)
I mean, really brings you joy. So much joy that when you are doing that thing, you actually don’t think about food?
- ” Change is a result of what you do now, not what you intend to do tomorrow” – Elizabeth Benton
When I was prepping for my second bikini show, and I was checking in with a coach. I told him I was struggling to stay on track, and I had a few “slip ups”. He responded with, don’t worry about tomorrow. Just focus on winning today!
Today is all that matters!
- “REAL SUCCESS TAKES TIME, YOU CAN’T MICROWAVE IT” – Devon Franklin
We can not expect 24 hours of compliance to be reflected on the scale the next day. In order for true fat loss to occur (a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 lb of fat), we would have had to eat nothing and then go for a 25 mile run!). (read “How long does it take to lose weight)
- “IMPROVE 1% EACH DAY AND IN 100 DAYS YOU’LL BE 100% BETTER“
I love the idea of just doing something 1% better. It’s manageable, sustainable, and not overwhelming!
What is something that could be YOUR 1%?
- Not having a second slice of toast after breakfast is over.
- Lift an extra set of weights
- Stretch while I watch TV
- Swap 1 diet drink a day for 8 ounces of extra water.
- Take 1/3 of my meal home from a restaurant rather than lick the plate clean!
- Sleep an extra 15 minutes
- “The magic you’ve been waiting for is in the work you’ve been avoiding”
There was never and is never just one thing that helped me reach my weight loss goals. There’s no magic. Just hard work!
- “It’s only a crazy dream until you do it!” – Nike
DREAM BIG! The biggest reason I decided to lose weight and compete in a bikini show was because it seemed so crazy and outrageous. It’s about living life with stories to tell.
- “This isn’t about what you’re giving up. This is about proving to yourself that you can keep your word!” – Rachel Hollis
When you think about giving up, binging, numbing your emotions with food, entertaining yourself with food, etc. think about this quote.
- “Do what is easy and your life will be hard. Do what is hard and your life will become easy.” – Les Brown
Weight loss is hard, and that’s OK! Hard things make you better. Hard things build you. AND hard things are more transformative than easy things!
And with that, you have 42 quotes to help you get on track and stay on track with your health goals!!