Don’t you just love a dinner idea that’s low in calories, carbs, gluten free, and you can put it together quickly? That’s these low carb chicken fajitas! All you need is chicken, peppers, onions and seasonings!Jump to Recipe
This low calorie chicken dinner was 198 calories, 16 grams protein, 12 g carbs, and 2 grams fat. (with most of the carbs coming from the veggies!)
One little family dinner hack I use, so I’m not making different meals, is this: I make the meat and veggies for everyone. Then, depending on where my calories are at for the day, I put the meat and veggies on lettuce, or cauliflower rice.
Then, the rest of my family will eat their chicken and veggies in a tortilla like a burrito. There’s literally nothing they won’t eat inside a tortilla! lol.
I really believe that you don’t need to make separate meals if you are trying to lose weight, but your family is not. (my most recent weight loss meal plan is here) Just because you’re having low carb fajitas doesn’t mean that you’re family has to!
So, don’t complicate dinner time! Everyone can benefit from the main part of the meal, and then modify it to their preferences.
So, this meal for me was 200 calories, but for them, 350+. One meal, lots of options!
For more low calorie chicken ideas, check out: 17 Low Calorie Chicken Dinner Ideas.
What ingredients are in these low carb fajitas?
For this dinner, I started with a package of chicken thighs. My package had 12 ounces, which was perfect for each serving to have 3 ounces. The amount of chicken is totally flexible. However, readjust the calories and macros if you use more chicken, and still divide it into four servings.
We love chicken thighs in our house. But, if you are serious about a strict calorie deficit like I was during my bikini prep, you can swap out chicken breasts to save a few calories!
Then, I sliced the chicken into strips.
Then, I also sliced bell peppers and a medium onion into strips. 3 bell peppers in total, each a different color.
Then, ideally, I’d have fajita seasoning. I don’t love making my own, only because fajita seasoning is inexpensive, and I just rather buy some. But, since i didn’t have any fajita seasoning, I just made my own for this batch of low carb fajitas.
For the homemade fajita seasoning, I used:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon, Salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 TBL Corn starch
- 1 TBL golden Monk fruit zero calorie sweetener (the sweetener is optional, but I really like it!
Then, after the fajitas were finished, I topped them on a bed of lettuce, while my family ate theirs in a tortilla. You can TOTALLY eat a tortilla too, and still be on track for your weight loss goals. This post has my favorite low calorie tortillas.
With this recipe being so customizable, your family should definitely try low carb fajitas!
Quick Low calorie, Low Carb Chicken Fajitas
- 12 ounces chicken thighs sliced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 3 medium bell peppers sliced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon Golden Monk Sugar
- 8-10 leaves lettuce
- 4 tablespoons light sour cream
- Heat a skillet with cooking spray. Add sliced chicken thighs and cook until no longer raw or pink.
- Add all the sliced veggies, and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until veggies get tender and soft.
- In a tiny bowl, add all the seasonings to mix them together.
- Sprinkle on chicken and veggies, with a little extra cooking spray if your pan needs it.
- Stir and Sautee with the seasoning until all chicken and vegetables are covered with the seasoning.
- 𝑺𝒄𝒐𝒐𝒑 𝒄𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒌𝒆𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒗𝒆𝒈𝒈𝒊𝒆𝒔 𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒐 𝒍𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒖𝒄𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒐𝒑 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 1 𝒕𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒐𝒐𝒏 𝒍𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒔𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒄𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒎
PIN THIS FOR LATER AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!