If you are looking for a low calorie protein bar, you’ll want a Built Bar! I tried the Salted Caramel Built Bar and couldn’t believe it was only 130 calories!! Use my coupon code: HEALTHBEET for 10% off your order.Jump to Recipe
For a company that’s only 2 1/2 years old, Built Bar came onto the market fast and furious! I’m not sure if I have known about Built Bars since the beginning because the company was started in my hometown in Utah, but now, it seems like they are every where!
I love protein bars, but was always so disappointed that the goods ones were always high in calories. I was constantly on the hunt for a low calorie protein bar. Then, finally in 2018, Built Bar launched their 110 calorie protein bar!
The first Built Bar I remember trying was their coconut bar. The inside reminded me of an Almond Joy. The raspberry and orange bars remind me of those chocolate covered orange sticks you can buy at Christmas time, that are covered in chocolate. Just a tasty, chewy center, with a yummy chocolate coating.
Unfortunately, since those early days, they added some protein, and now their best bars are 130-180 calories. Still a calorie bargain, but I stick with the 130 calorie ones!
Oh, and also, they now have “bite” size, which are only 70 calories, and I’m a HUGE fan of this idea! I love throwing them in my gym bag or purse, and having a little protein treat that’s under 100 calories.
How do Built Bars Taste?
Well, while I will choose these 100% over any other protein bar. And, I really do like them. I will say, they kind of all taste the same! At least the chocolate, salted caramel, peanut butter, cookies and cream, and cookie dough. They all just taste like chocolate, with a possible hint of flavoring.
The exception is the coconut and fruit flavored bars. Those definitely have a distinct flavor. But the rest- meh. Just tastes like chocolate!
The calorie and macro breakdown of the Built Bars:
The 130 calorie bars and 17 grams protein, 18 g carbs, 2.5 g fat, and 6 g fiber
- Coconut (Probably my favorite!!)
- Double Chocolate (haven’t tried, cause I’m not a HUGE chocolate fan)
- Mint Brownie (pretty good. Tastes like a chocolate chewy bar, with a hint of mint.)
- Salted Caramel (YES!! to this one. A chocolatey caramel center with chocolate coating. I used the Salted Caramel to chop up and add to my caramel yogurt parfait -recipe below!)
- Orange (YUM! Like I said, a Christmas, chewy orange stick with chocolate.)
- Raspberry (texture like the orange almost exactly, but definitely strong raspberry flavor)
- Cherry Barcia (Haven’t tried this one!)
- Caramel Brownie (I haven’t tried it, but this one looks good)
- and Cookies and cream (To be honest.. too much chocolate, not enough “cream”. Just tastes like a chocolate bar to me.
The 180 calorie bars and 19 g protein (I rarely buy these ones so I can’t comment on the flavors)
- German Chocolate Cake
- Peanut Butter Brownie
- Coconut Almond
- Peanut Butter
- Almond Apple Crisp (160)
And then occasionally, they offer limited time flavors.
Recently I got the
- White chocolate Cookies and Cream, plus the
- cookie dough! The cookie dough said it was covered in DARK chocolate, which I was kind of nervous about. But it didn’t taste like dark chocolate to me. And, the little balls of cookie dough were DEFINITELY delicious. However, I’d have liked it better, if instead of the small balls of cookie dough on top, if instead it was the entire center of that cookie dough.
- Raspberry Cheesecake White Chocolate! (THIS ONE MIGHT BE MY ALL TIME FAVORITE!)
Regardless of what flavor you fall in love with, I’ve found this to be a great product! There’s basically no mess, so they are perfect for taking on the go. And, you can even add them to recipes. That’s what I did with my parfait. I just chopped up a Salted Caramel Built Bar and added it to my parfait, and it was sooo good!
Let me know which Built Bar flavor is your favorite! You can order a few to try at a discounted price with my coupon code! (HEALTHBEET).
- Chop your protein bar. Layer yogurt, caramel dip, protein bar, and whipped cream, and enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links