Using chicken thighs, peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, and some Light Italian Dressing, these Chicken Thigh Kabobs make a delicious, low calorie dinner!Jump to Recipe
The calories and macros for these chicken thigh kabobs were 227 calories, 18 g protein, 16 g carbs (all from veggies), and 11 g fat
What Veggies to Use for Chicken Kabobs
Veggies that won’t fall off the stick work best for kabobs. For the ones in this picture, I used
- Mushrooms and
- Bell peppers.
Other vegetables that work well on a stick could be:
- sweet potatoes
- summer squash
- cherry tomatoes, and
- brussels sprouts
How to make light chicken kabobs
While assembling these might be a little tedious, they fully cook in under 15 minutes! Here are a few ways to lower the calories:
- The dressing I used on the shish kabobs: Olive Garden Light Italian Dressing! I love this dressing! With only 30 calories for two tablespoons, I’ve been using it on a LOT of salads! Regular Olive Garden Dressing has 80 calories for two tablespoons. So, in total, it’s a savings of 50 calories! (check out my list of low calorie brands here)
- The Veggies– the more veggies you can cram onto this stick, the higher the volume, and the lower the calorie density is. Remember the goal: Designing a high volume, LOW calorie day!
- The Chicken These chicken kabobs would have less fat and calories if I had used chicken breasts. However, in this case, the chicken thighs are so juicy!! It’s definitely a trade-off I wanted to make.
Can you make ahead or store kabobs?
I will either assemble the chicken kabobs ahead of time, without cooking them. Or, I’ll cook them, and eat them as leftovers.
Both work great! Just keep it in the fridge, and re-heat or cook when you are ready to eat.
Quick and Easy Chicken Thigh Kabobs
- Wooden Skewers
- 1 lb chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, cubed
- 12 small mushrooms
- 1 medium bell pepper, cubed
- 12 tablespoons Olive garden Light Italian Dressing
- Using wooden skewers, alternate adding chicken and each vegetable.
- Assemble on a baking sheet.
- Brush all kabobs with Olive garden dressing- the veggies and the chicken.
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.
PIN THIS FOR LATER AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!