French toast can be a healthy way to start your day! Try this microwave french toast in a mug, and have breakfast ready in minutes!
I noticed something about myself…
When I’m waiting for a skillet to heat up (making eggs, pancakes, or french toast), I graze! It’s completely mindless.
By the time I start making breakfast, I’m pretty hungry, so I’ve caught myself ripping off a hunk of bread, getting a handful of cereal, or eating an extra banana.
But knowing is half the battle, amiright? Using the microwave for a quick breakfast actually stops me from doing that! And cooking a meal or dessert in a mug cuts down on the dishes you’re using as well!
So, I’m all down for using the microwave, especially to make this DELICIOUS, HEALTHY MICROWAVE FRENCH TOAST!
To make this microwave French toast, I used:
- ✔️1 egg and 1/4 cup egg whites
- ✔️ cinnamon and vanilla
- ✔️ One slice of bread. For Low calorie bread, I like Harpers homemade bran bread. It has 80 calories.
If you can see into your microwave, it’s crazy how high your French toast grows, like a jack in the box!
Why French Toast can be healthy
French toast is a great breakfast for many reasons!
- The food groups are balanced. As you know, any meal that I can get 3-4 food groups involved, I’m very happy about! This has grains, protein, and fruit!
- The macros are balanced! With 17 g protein, 15 g carbs, and 5 grams of fat, any macro diet would be satisfied with that breakdown!
- It’s perfectly portion controlled! I love that this recipe makes ONE serving! No reason to keep microwaving more. You can eat the whole thing, and be satiated.
What can you top your French Toast with?
To keep the calories low, I usually go for some
- Sugar free syrup (like Walden Farms)
- Whipped cream (1 squirt is only 15 calories)
- Berries! Any berries are good, but right now raspberries are in season and they are DIVINE!!
So, what are you waiting for! Give this breakfast a try and let me know how it turns out for you!
Healthy Microwave French Toast
- 1 medium egg
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 splash vanilla
- 1 slice bread approx. 80 calories
- Spray a large mug with cooking spray.
- Whisk together egg, egg whites, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Break bread into bite size pieces and dredge in the egg mixture. Stir till all pieces are coated.
- Microwave on high for 45 seconds. Stop the microwave to let the french toast deflate.
- Cook for 45 more seconds, in the microwave.
- Top with berries, whipped cream, or syrup!
Follow me on Pinterest for more healthy recipes and pin this one to your own food boards!
READ NEXT –-> Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes in 15 minutes!
You might also like, 100 Calorie Mug Cake! (cake in the microwave!)