Strawberries and Cream Protein French Toast Casserole: by adding vanilla protein powder and egg whites, I was able to get 10 grams of protein per serving for this delicious and healthy breakfast!!Jump to Recipe
The total for each slice (8 servings per recipe) was 112 calories, 10 grams protein, 16 grams carbs, and 1 gram of fat. If you use an 8X8 dish, you would get 9 servings. I used a round 1.5 quart casserole dish.
What is protein French toast?
Classic French toast will typically have 165 calories, and 5 grams of protein per slice. It would be even higher in calories and lower in protein per serving with my recipe without the ingredient changes.
The calories generally are higher in classic French toast because cooks will use a regular slice of bread, whole eggs, and zero protein powder.
There’s no question that a delicious french toast casserole makes a filling breakfast! But you know what makes it even more filling? More protein!
Ingredient swaps for my Protein French Toast
- I was able to increase the protein in this French toast casserole by adding egg whites and protein powder. I used some vanilla protein powder, and it mixed in perfectly with my French toast ingredients.
- To make the overall dish low in calories, I decided to use low calorie bread. While I have a whole post on a variety of low calorie breads from the store, for this I used the Sara Lee 45 calorie bread. I used 12 slices, which worked well for this 1.5 quart casserole dish. But of course, the fewer slices of bread you use, the fewer calories each serving will have.
- In addition to the low calorie bread, I kept the calories low by using some Monk fruit sweetener. I like the Lakanto powdered sugar. Although it has zero calories, according to the label, it is somewhat misleading because it does contain carbs. The fact that they are undigestible carbs allows the product to report zero calories.
Let me know if you decide to make this French toast casserole in the comments! And don’t forget to rate this recipe, pin it, or print it for later.
If you like this recipe, you might also like
Strawberries and Cream Protein French Toast CasserolePrint Pin Rate
- Cut bread into squares. Arrange in an 8X8 pan, or a 2 quart casserole dish, sprayed with cooking spray.
- Whisk Almond milk, egg, egg whites, vanilla extract, and protein powder in a bowl. Pour over bread.
- Fold in chopped strawberries.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, or until knife comes out clean.
- Mix zero calorie powdered sugar with water and drizzle over top of casserole. Cut into 8 slices and enjoy.
PIN THIS FOR LATER AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!