These quick, healthy banana chocolate chip pancakes have only 4 basic ingredients. Banana, oats, egg whites, and chocolate! They are deliciously low in calories, gluten free and a great way to start your day!
For the majority of my life, I was a hard core, early morning breakfast eater. I’m an extremely early riser (4-5am most days), and I would head straight to the kitchen and eat. Usually something small like a yogurt, or banana and toast. I’d do some morning scripture study and then go for a run.
However, about 5 years ago, I decided I wanted to try intermittent fasting and workout fasted. I found that my workouts were better on less food. I also found I could delay breakfast till 10 am or 11, without feeling like I missed a meal. And overall, I ate less during the day.
Today, even though I’m in contest prep, I still delay breakfast till after my workouts. And even when my breakfast isn’t till 10 or even noon, I always start my day with breakfast food! Usually that means a lot of eggs for breakfast, but I also indulge in a healthy pancake once a week, like these Banana chocolate chip pancakes or lemon zucchini pancakes!
With bananas being in season for most of the year, we always have some on the counter. They rarely go bad, because my family eats them pretty quickly. However, as soon as brown starts start happening, no one touches them!
That’s when I pull them out for recipes, like banana chocolate chip pancakes. I mashed 1 banana into 1/2 cup and it weighed exactly 100 grams. This is perfect for this healthy recipe.
This recipe is actually EXACTLY the same recipe as my sweet potato protein pancakes, (the second one) except I substituted banana for sweet potatoes!
And then finally, the icing on the cake is the chocolate chips! Because these pancakes aren’t that sweet to begin with, the chocolate chips really make them taste indulgent!
Why are these Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes Healthy?
There are a few things that I think make these pancakes a home run in the health department.
- The egg whites are high in protein! I love baking with egg whites. They are a great source of protein, without packing in the calories.
- The Oats are gluten free. Blend up oats, and they bake a lot like flour.
- The banana is a great source of vitamins, minerals and fiber! Yes, I love bananas for the taste AND for the healthy vitamins it can include.
So, here’s the final recipe!! Let me know if you try it.
Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Pancake
- 1/2 cup mashed banana or 100 grams
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Blend in a blender banana, egg whites, oats, and baking powder! Wait till it gets smooth.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips, or drop them on each pancake as you cook them.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pour batter onto hot skillet, sprayed with cooking spray
- Cook on both sides, and long enough that the center is cooked.
Follow me on pinterest for more healthy, low calorie meal ideas!
Read Next –> Healthy Protein Banana Ice Cream