Made in the air fryer, and topped with zero calorie caramel dip, these French toast sticks only have 41 calories each!Jump to Recipe
French toast can be a super healthy breakfast, or a high calorie disaster. When you know how to make it healthy, and top it with low calorie syrups, it’s a great, high protein way to start the day.
There are 4 ways to lower the calories in French Toast:
- Use low calorie bread. Here’s a post I wrote about my favorite low calorie bread. And although, there are some breads under 50 calories per slice, my favorite is an 80 calorie bread called Harper’s Homemade. Mostly because it’s affordable, it’s thick and chewy, and I can always find it at the store.
- Use cooking spray, instead of butter, or an air fryer! This recipe, I opted for the air fryer. I have the Cuisinart air fryer / toaster oven from Costco. It’s perfect for French toast because the outside of the French toast gets crispy, without the need for butter!
- Use more egg whites that whole eggs. One egg white has 15 calories, and one whole egg has 72 calories. So, this can potentially be a huge calorie savings. If you’ve been around here long enough, you know I use an ABUNDANCE of egg whites in my breakfast meals. You just can’t beat the high protein, low calorie, cost of the egg whites! I even have a recipe tag just for the recipes I use egg whites for here.
- Skip the milk, or use skim milk. I didn’t grow up adding milk to our French toast. Milk was hit or miss in my home growing up because my mom had an allergy to milk. So, we simply eliminated it from things. This was long before substitutes like almond milk or soy milk. So, just leaving it out worked just as well.
Then, to get an accurate calorie count, you’ll want to use all of the egg mixture on your bread.
Low calorie French Toast Toppings
And, of course to make it COMPLETELY irresistible, I topped my French toast with the ZERO CALORIE Walden farms caramel dip, and some whipped topping! Do you remember the zero calorie caramel from my Skinny Salted Caramel oatmeal?? Well, yeah. This is going to have to be a regular thing in my life!
For the calories and macros to come out to 41 calories per stick, I used:
✔️-1/2 cup egg whites
✔️-1 teaspoon cinnamon
✔️-1 teaspoon vanilla
Whisked in a bowl, and cut 3 slices of bread into three strips each (total of 9 strips. I also used the Harpers Homemade bran bread to get 80 calories per slice of bread).
Then, I soaked up ALL the batter. If you don’t soak up all the batter with your bread and leave some egg in the bowl, the calories will not be the same. But my egg mixture was the perfect amount for three slices of bread.
THEN- in my air fryer, I cooked it in the air fryer basket at 400 degrees for 4 minutes. Then, flipped the French toast, and cooked for 4 more minutes.
My French toast DOES stick to the basket. But, I just clean it straight after.
And although each stick is only 41 calories… I ate all three slices of bread. No regrets. The full breakfast was:
- 🌟366 calories
- 🌟22 g protein
- 🌟48.5 g carbs
- 🌟and 4.8 g fat
Low Calorie French Toast Sticks
- Air fryer
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 slices bread low calorie bread
- 1 tablespoon caramel dip
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream
- whisk egg, egg whites cinnamon, and vanilla in a shallow dish.
- Slice three slices of bread, into 3 sticks each (9 total sticks)
- Dredge bread sticks into egg mixture until fully saturated.
- Arrange bread sticks onto the basket of an air fryer.
- Cook at 400 degrees for a total of 8-9 minutes, flipping french toast mid-way.
- Top with zero calorie caramel and whipped cream!