While eggs are already a quick thing to make for breakfast, sometimes quick and zero mess is what you need! These 2 minute microwave eggs are the perfect solution for one dish, no mess, and a quick healthy meal.
Can you cook eggs in the microwave?
Yes. Microwave eggs have become all the rage the last few years. There’s a few reasons I think this would be.
- It’s quick! Literally, within 2 minutes your eggs are fully cooked! On the stove top, while eggs don’t take very long to cook, you’re still looking at 5-10 minutes after you heat your pan and cook the eggs.
- It’s mess-free! Eggs cooked on the stove top requires a bowl to whisk the eggs in, the skillet, spatula, and your final plate. When you cook eggs in the microwave, you could get away with only a mug and a fork!
- It’s kid safe! If you aren’t ready for your kids to cook over the stove, microwave eggs are a good solution while they are learning cooking skills.
How long do you cook your eggs in the microwave?
Times may vary depending on how big your mug is, how strong your microwave is, and how many eggs you are cooking.
My go-to amount is 1/2 cup egg whites and 1 egg. With this amount, I cook the egg in my microwave at full power for 45 seconds. I take the eggs out and give them a quick whisk. I add regular cheese, or a wedge of laughing cow cheese, and stir again. Then, I put it back in the microwave for 45 more seconds.
How many calories are in microwave eggs?
How many calories your microwave eggs end up with will depend on how many you cook.
- 1 medium egg is 70 calories,
- 1/2 cup of egg whites is 50 calories.
- If you add 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, you’ll want to add 80 more calories, a wedge of light laughing cow cheese, 30 calories, or 1 ounce of cheddar cheese, add 110 calories.
So, while there are many ways to eat eggs for breakfast, try adding microwave eggs to your rotation.
2 Minute Microwave Eggs
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 0.5 ounce mozzarella cheese
- 1 dash salt
- Spray a large mug with cooking spray.
- Add 1 egg and egg whites and whisk.
- Cook in microwave, on high power for 45 seconds.
- Take out of microwave. Add cheese, and whisk again.
- Return to microwave and cook for 45 more seconds.
- Season with salt