After teaching a nutrition lesson about Choose MyPlate in your elementary or Jr. High classes, print this quiz for your students, or use it as an outline to guide your discussion!
1.Does eating a balanced diet give you all the nutrients your body needs?
Answer: 1. YES; each food group has different prominent nutrients, including all food groups helps our bodies get all of the nutrients we need
2. Name the five food groups of MyPlate
3. Which food is in the fruit group
4. Which food is in the vegetable group
5. Which food is not in the protein group
Answer info: Although cheese has protein, it is in the dairy group as it is made of dairy and also has calcium
6. Which food is not a whole grain
- White rice
Answer info: white rice has the bran or shell removed, which has vitamins in it. Brown rice has the bran still on.
7. Which is not in the dairy group
- Soy milk
- Cottage cheese
Answer info: Soy and other dairy alternative products that have calcium amounts similar to dairy are also included in the dairy group.
8. Which is the best way to eat fruits and vegetables
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Frozen fruits and vegetables
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- They are all good ways
Answer info: There is minimal difference in the vitamin and mineral content between fresh, frozen and canned fruits and vegetables.
9. How does fiber help our bodies
- Helps build strong bones
- Helps with our eyesight
- Helps have normal bowel movements
Answer info: Fiber also helps us feel full, and helps balance blood sugar.
10. Label the plate with the different food groups
Answer: 1 or 4 is fruit and protein, 2 or 3 is grain and vegetables and 5 is dairy
11. Make a meal with all five food groups and list which good groups the foods belong to
- Meal: sandwich
- Fruit: apple
- Vegetable: lettuce and tomato
- Dairy: cheese
- Grain: bread
- Protein: turkey
12. Which color fruits and vegetables should you eat the most?
- A variety of all the colors
Answer info: Different color fruits and vegetables indicate different nutrient content, by eating all the colors you’re able to get the different nutrients. Some include: Yellow/Orange- vitamin A and vitamin C, magnesium, Dark Green- vitamin A and vitamin K, potassium, Red- Vitamin C.
13. Why are beans and peas in both the protein and vegetable food group?
- They are brown and green
- They provide nutrients that are in vegetables
- They provide nutrients that are in protein foods
- B and C
Answer info: Because beans have similar nutrients to the protein and vegetable group they can be include in either group for a meal.
14. Which nutrient is in whole fruits and vegetables but not normally in juice?
- Vitamin C
Answer info: Fiber is removed in most juicing processes, whereas a smoothie is the whole fruit or vegetable and would have the fiber.
15. What are some ways fruits and vegetables help our body?
- They help our cells grow
- They help our immune systems
- They help our heart work well
- All the above
16. . is an important nutrient in the dairy group.
Answer info: Calcium helps build bones, but is also an important factor for heart health.