Health Canada just revealed their updated dietary guidelines with the associated image to represent a healthy plate. They are calling it, Canada’ Food Guide, but I like, Canada’s Food Plate!
The recommendations can be summarized on their Food Guide Canada website here.
To summarize the important points,
- Be Mindful of your eating habits . Take time to eat. Notice when you are hungry and when you are full.
- Cook more often. Plan what you eat. Involve others in planning and preparing meals.
- Enjoy your food. Culture and food tradition can be party of healthy eating.
- Eat meals with others.
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and proteins.
- Choose Protein foods that come from plants more often.
- Choose foods with healthy fats instead of saturated fats.
- Limit highly processed foods.
- Prepare meals and snacks using ingredients with little or no added sodium, sugars, or saturated fats.
- Choose healthier menu options when eating out.
- Make water your drink of choice. Replace sugary drinks with water.
- Use Food labels.
- Be aware that food marketing can influence your choices.
The Health Beet 3 Section Portion Control Plate