My top 22 things I can’t live without to have a great run!
Last month, the friend I run with had a birthday! I had so much fun putting together a box of the things I use during my runs on a regular basis, that I wanted to share it here.
As a general rule, I do not like running with people. I prefer podcasts and music to conversation. I also like to go my own pace. I don’t like to feel like I’m slowing someone down. And, I also don’t like to feel like someone is slowing me down.
I have one exception. It’s my friend Eliece. We started running one day a week about 15 years ago. We do take the winter off, as we both prefer treadmills in the winter. But about May through September, we run every Friday together.
I have grown to LOVE those Friday runs. In fact, It’s etched into my calendar as a non-negotiable. I rarely schedule anything on a Friday, because I know I’ll be doing a long run, and I don’t want to be rushed.
So, when Eliece’s birthday was approaching last month, I decided to put together the perfect running box, with all the things I personally use for a run on a consistent basis. I LOVE how the gift box turned out, and so did she!
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
I first found some pictures of us over the years. And as luck would have it, I found our VERY first race together, 15 years ago! So, I created a graphic in Canva to print with a photo from the beginning, middle, and more recently, and I taped it on the box.
I also wrote on the graphic for the running gift box: “Friday Runs: Cheaper than Therapy! Happy Birthday. 15 years of therapy.” LOL. I thought it was pretty clever actually!!
Then, inside the running gift box, the ideas I had were:
- My favorite running belt: Flip Belt
- Built Bars, for after a run (of course!) my discount code is HEALTHBEET
- Honey Stingers, for during a run.
- GUM!! For during the run.
- Caffeine– Sorry not sorry. I do take a caffeine pill before a long run.
- Junk Brand headbands.
- A handheld water bottle
- and Running socks!
Other running gift ideas that I didn’t include (because it would get too expensive), but I use on a regular basis:
- Brooks High Impact bra – This is my favorite running bra. I do have implants, but this holds everything in place when I run!
- foam roller – I have several, but after a run, I prefer the softest one.
- glide – If you are prone to chaffing, you need glide!
- Nuun – This is an electrolyte tablet you add to water. During long hot runs, I always use Electrolytes.
- Cliff blocks – I alternate between the Cliff chews and the Honey Stinger chews
- Running log book – This is the book I use! I don’t like to complicate things, just a basic log of my runs.
- Head lamp– This is the head lamp I use, but I wear it around my waist. It’s much more comfortable than on my head, especially if I’m wearing a hat!
- pepper spray– Did you know how cheap this is?! For $10 you can have some handheld pepper spray / mace for those solo runs.
- Running Hat– Admittedly, I haven’t tried many baseball hats for running. But I did get this Head Sweat Brand hat for a race I ran a few years back, and I LOVE it! It’s lightweight and the perfect size for my head.
- Beanie – I like this Under Armour light weight beanie. I wear it every time I run outside and it’s below 70 degrees. LOL
- Race Medal rack– Ok- this is the only thing on the list that I actually don’t have. BUT I WANT IT!! If any of my friends or family is reading this and looking for the perfect gift for me, THIS IS IT!
- Running sleeves– I just got my first pair of running sleeves last year, and I’m hooked! It’s so nice for those mornings that start cold, but you warm up quickly!
- Sunscreen– for face! This one is SPF 70, water proof and sweat proof. I’ve been so much better about wearing sunscreen on my face since I’m so close to 50!
- chapstick– And every runner needs chapstick in their belt! Long runs make for dry lips. My daughter told me about this brand that you can get at Walmart: Lipsyl, and it’s now our favorite Lip Balm of all.