These delicious Italian mini stuffed bell peppers are made with the leanest ground beef to make them low in calories. I added Italian ingredients such as spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese for the perfect low calorie dinner!
For the next 5 weeks I am being incredibly intentional about the time I’m spending in the kitchen. The more time I’m in the kitchen, the more food I graze on, mindlessly.
I’m also trying to only create recipes that, if I eat all of it, it’s not going to ruin my weight loss progress for the NPC stage!
For both those reasons, I made these low calorie, Mini Stuffed Bell Peppers. I started with the leanest ground beef I’ve ever purchased. This was 96% lean ground beef. The most I’d ever purchased before was the 93%.
This very lean ground beef, along with minimal other ingredients including mushrooms (almost no calories), spaghetti sauce (90 calories for the entire recipe), and one egg (a small boost of protein) was all I needed.
The Low Cal Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe:
Low Calorie Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 36 Mini Bell peppers
- 1 pound ground beef 96% lean
- 1 cup mushrooms finely chopped
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 medium egg
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 dash salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning to taste
- 1 medium olive oil cooking spray
- Slice mini peppers length wise, and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Scrape inside seeds and rib out of mini peppers
- Spritz with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake peppers in oven at 400 degrees for about 6-7 minutes.
- While peppers are cooking, cook ground beef over medium high heat in a skillet.
- Add finely chopped mushrooms to ground beef and cook until soft.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Transfer to a bowl and Add 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce and 1 medium egg. Stir together.
- Using a 1 tablespoon scoop, scoop meat into each bell pepper.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and return to oven to cook until cheese is melted.
For these mini stuffed bell peppers, I first prepared and cooked the bell peppers. I slice them in half, sprayed them with Olive oil cooking spray, and sprinkled them with salt.
Then, I baked them in the oven at 400 degrees for just about 6-7 minutes.
While they were cooking, I cooked the ground beef with the mushrooms and spaghetti sauce. I added the egg after it was slighty cooled, just to bind all the ingredients together.
Then, this is the most important part to make these peppers 30 calories each. You must use 1 tablespoon of the meat, per pepper. You can definitely use more, but then obviously the peppers will be higher than 30 calories.
So, that’s it!! I LOVE how these turned out and I definitely ate many of them. Which was fine, because as I’m writing this the day after, my weight is down 1 lb!!
Pin, share, and follow me on Pinterest! Also, let me know if you try this recipe. Share it at hashtag #healthbeet!