17 Healthy Sweet Potato Dessert Topping ideas!
Try these 17 ideas for sweet potato toppings and turn your boring sweet potato into dessert!
Sweet potatoes not only taste great, but are a rich source of vitamins and minerals.
In one of my FAVORITE books, “The World’s Healthiest Foods“, it says, “sweet potatoes are not just a sweet version of regular potatoes.” In fact, they aren’t even in the same botanical family.
Sweet potatoes are not considered a nightshade, and don’t need to be avoided by people who can’t tolerate nightshades.
Sweet potatoes have more fiber than regular potatoes.
Sweet potatoes are a rich source of beta carotene and vitamin C.
Sweet potatoes positively impacts blood sugar balance and regulation, despite their sweetness.
There are so many ways to enjoy sweet potatoes. I like making sweet potato fries, sweet potato pancakes, and roasted sweet potatoes.
But after a recent trip to Ruth’s Chris where I remembered how much I loved their sweet potato casserole, I came straight home to turn my regular sweet potatoes into dessert!
Here are some of my favorite toppings to make sweet potatoes taste like dessert.
List of sweet toppings for sweet potatoes
- Coconut. Shredded, shaved, coconut butter, coconut oil, coconut milk- all delicious!
- Sugar free syrup. Check out my zero calorie food list for brands I like.
- Zero calorie sugar. Monk sugar at Costco has been a staple for me over the past year!
- Oats. I always have oats on hand, so I love to sprinkle it on foods like sweet potatoes.
- Cinnamon. With no calories, cinnamon is a sweet way to give sweet potatoes more flavor.
- Yogurt. If you haven’t tried topping a sweet potato with yogurt yet, stop everything and try this today. Flavored Greek yogurt like honey yogurt or vanilla tastes amazing.
- Pecans. Sprinkling nuts like pecans makes me think I’m eating sweet potato pie.
- Cottage cheese. Like the yogurt, cottage cheese can enhance the texture and taste of a sweet potato. Plus, with the protein, it makes it a perfectly balanced dish.
- Honey. Honey is great by itself. Drizzle a little on your potato for a tasty treat. You can also find some specialty honey mixed with cinnamon, which is good too.
- Marshmallows. Traditionally eaten at Thanksgiving, marshmallows, when caramelized or eaten warm can sweeten up the whole potato.
- Feta cheese. I use feta a lot for green salads that are meant to be sweet. It’s also perfect for sweet potatoes.
- Walnuts. Crumble or crush some walnuts for your sweet potato.
- Almond butter. Drizzle with some natural almond butter, and get added fat and protein.
- Granola. Some granola sweetened with honey or cinnamon can be a crunchy addition to a smooth sweet potato.
- Peanut Butter. Drizzling a little peanut butter on top of a sweet potato is delicious.
- Sliced Bananas. I know this is just carbs on carbs, but if you’re looking for a healthy treat- you must try this.
- Butter- While I don’t consider butter a healthy topping, it DOES make all the other ingredient toppings that much better!
Best combos of sweet potato toppings
- Oats, cinnamon and sugar free maple syrup (this is what I have on my sweet potato in the photos for this post))
- Yogurt, sugar free maple syrup
- Coconut and granola
- Honey and peanut butter
- Almond butter and cinnamon
- Butter and cinnamon
- Feta and dried cranberries.
- Peanut butter and bananas.
- Maple syrup and bananas.
Now it’s your turn!! What’s your favorite toppings for sweet potatoes?