With only 78 calories for a large boiled egg, this egg salad sandwich is a winner. A few simple swaps changed this indulgent egg salad sandwich, into a healthy egg salad sandwich!
Eggs are a great low calorie, high protein food! A large boiled egg contains 78 calories and 6 grams of protein. Egg whites without the yolk are only 17 calories, and almost 4 grams of protein. So much of the protein comes from the egg whites, with the least amount of calories!
If you love egg salad, you’ll love this healthy version. I got the basics of this recipe from the Body for Life Cookbook, but made a few changes to make it my own!
To make this healthy egg salad sandwich healthier, I used:
- Fat free mayo
- I used LOW CALORIE/ LOW CARB bread, Dave’s Killer bread, Powerseed, thin cut.
- I used one slice of bread, making it an open faced sandwich, rather than two slices of bread.
- I weighed my avocado so it didn’t add too many calories, but added HUGE flavor!
- I added extra veggies! Peppers, celery, and lettuce!
- I only used one whole egg, but an extra egg white.
- I made it for one serving, for easier portion control!
The full healthy egg salad recipe is below!
Healthy Low Calorie Egg Salad Sandwich
- 1 slice Dave's Killer Bread, Powerseed thin cut (60 calorie per slice)
- 1 medium hard boiled egg
- 1 medium Hard boiled egg white
- 1 tablespoon fat free mayo
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 stalk celery chopped
- 1/4 medium Red pepper chopped
- 1 leaf lettuce
- 15 grams avocado (2 slices)
- Take two hard boiled eggs and use one whole egg and the egg white of the second. Chop the eggs. Chop the parsely, celery, and red pepper.
- Combine eggs and veggies with 1 tablespoon fat free mayo.
- Top on a lettuce leaf, and Dave's Killer bread, 60 calorie thin sliced.
This sandwich fits with a low carb, high protein diet with 194 calories, 15 grams of protein, and 13 grams of carbs! SO GOOD!