Make this quick 3 minute blueberry muffin in a mug! It’s low in sugar, low in calories, and breakfast can be ready in under 3 minutes!Jump to Recipe
The calories and macros for this blueberry muffin in a mug recipe are 103 calories, 18 grams carbs, 6 g protein, 1 g fat.
I’m not sure who first decided they could make baked goods in a mug in the microwave, but I’m so glad they did. Not only has it opened up a world of portion control for microwave cakes, cupcakes, brownies, and muffins, but even the brands have gotten on board, and now sell packaged versions of muffins or cupcakes in a mug.
A healthier recipe for muffin in a mug
A classic recipe for muffins will no doubt result in a cakier muffin, but I’m no classic blogger. Instead, I try to lower the calories, reduce the sugar, and increase the protein of everything I make! The result might be a little less than ideal (a little chewier than cake), but it’s the sacrifices I make to maintain my weight loss!
So, the key ingredients I used for this healthier version of a blueberry muffin was:
- I started with self rising flour. This way baking powder and salt are unnecessary.
- Then I added nonfat plain greek yogurt. This helps the muffin become a little more tender, while adding some protein.
- I used vanilla unsweetened almond milk. This is only 30 calories per cup and it gets the muffin batter in the right texture for a muffin.
- To sweeten it up, I used the Lakanto zero calorie classic monk fruit sugar substitute. I use this A LOT!
- And finally, just a few blueberries. I tried this with a handful of blueberries, and it was too wet, and my muffin never cooked at all. So, stick to 4-5 blueberries max
- Then, I sprinkled some zero calorie Golden Monk fruit on top! It’s totally optional, but it gave me that crunchier muffin top I love!
How to cook a muffin in the microwave in a mug!
If you haven’t tried baking in a mug before, this is a good recipe to start with. I take a standard, microwave safe mug, and spray the heck out of it with cooking spray. You don’t want your batter to stick to the sides and make it hard to remove.
Then, starting with one minute, I microwave it on high. I take it out at this point, and poke my finger in the top. If it springs back, and no longer looks wet on top, it’s probably done! If it’s a little doughy, I’ll cook it again, only 30 seconds at a time.
This recipe, in my microwave, took 90 seconds total. The first 1 minute cooking. Then, the second 30 second round.
Once finished, turn it onto a plate and eat!
Then use those carbs for a great workout!!
If you like this recipe, you might also like
Healthy Single Serving Microwave Muffin in a Mug
- 1 teaspoon Golden Monk Sugar to sprinkle on top
- Spray a mug with cooking spray. Combine flour, yogurt, and milk, sweetener and blueberries in the mug. Sprinkle with golden sugar.
- Microwave on high for one minute.
- Check for doneness. If top is wet, Microwave for 30 more seconds. Poke the muffin wiht a finger. If it springs back, it's done. If not, 30 more seconds until done.
- Turn onto a plate and eat.
PIN THIS FOR LATER AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!