Delicious, high protein meal idea for lunch or dinner! This grilled chicken BBQ salad is fast, filling, and can support any weight loss goals.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
Green Salads, topped with protein have been critical to helping me with weight loss. (see my weight loss story here)
Green salads are low in calories and filing at the same time. You can add a lot of veggies, some low calorie dressings, and it can keep you satiated for hours if you are trying to not eat between meals.
I also decided to get better at using our grill! Even though it’s the end of summer, and we have an old grill, I haven’t used it much at all. But I uncovered it this weekend to find that I did pretty good! My chicken breasts came out juicy and the flavor was so much better than an oven baked chicken breast.
So, I’ll definitely be giving the grill some more time so I can continue to improve.
For the BBQ sauce, I mentioned in my Grilled Chicken Chick-fil-a post that I found some sugar free BBQ sauce that was amazing! I found it at Walmart, but it’s the same as this listing on Amazon. It’s the G Hughes brand, and there are only 10 calories per 2 tablespoons.
I also always use a low calorie salad dressing for Grilled chicken salads. Between the Bolthouse family of dressings (a yogurt based, low calorie dressing), and the Olive Garden Light Italian, I could eat salads three times per day!
What ingredients go well with Grilled Chicken BBQ Salad?
The Grilled chicken BBQ salad can have a variety of ingredients. But some of my favorites, depending on what I have in my fridge and pantry include:
- Grilled chicken (of course!)
- Tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- Cheese (I especially like Monterey Jack)
- Avocado- which makes EVERYTHING taste better. I keep my avocados to 30 grams per meal, to keep the calories lower.
- Romaine lettuce
- All the other greens. I like a base of romaine, but will often add green leafy, iceberg and spinach when I have some.
- Tortilla strips. These are fun to sprinkle on just for a little crunch and flavor.
- Bell peppers
- Corn- if you are grilling the chicken, throw some corn on the grill too and slice off the kernels to top your salad.
- Red onion- the flavor of a red onion on a BBQ chicken salad can be powerful. I tend to only use 1/4 to 1/2 of the onion at at time.
- Bean- many people like to add black bean to a barbecued grilled chicken salad. Beans are so good for you. They are full of fiber, a good source of protein and carbs, and very filling.
Those are the ingredients I like to add to a green salad topped with BBQ Chicken. What do you like to add?
High Protein Grilled Chicken BBQ Salad
- 2 tablespoons Sugar free BBQ Sauce (G Hughes)
- 4 ounces chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 30 grams chopped avocado
- 5 small cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced red pepper
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1/2 ounce monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons tortilla strips
- 2 tablespoons Bolthouse Ranch Dressing
- Grill chicken in an indoor or outdoor grill. Using a brush, spread the sugar free BBQ sauce on chicken while cooking.
- Chop remaining ingredients and assemble in a bowl. Top salad with sliced grilled chicken.
- Top salad with dressing.
READ NEXT –> Homemade Grilled Chick-fil-a Nuggets