If you like Pina Coladas, you’ll love this healthy recipe for a Pina Colada Protein Shake! Made with coconut cream protein powder, banana, and pineapple, you’ll feel like you’re drinking a full calorie milkshake.Jump to Recipe
Last week we took our kids out to dinner to a local Mexican restaurant, where they served the BIGGEST non-alcoholic Pina Colada we’ve EVER seen. My son-in-law was enthralled by the huge goblet it was served in.
There were 5 of us, and we all shared the drink because it was so big.
But after that dinner, I knew I wanted to make a protein shake that was just as indulgent, but also, wouldn’t get me off track from maintaining my weight loss.
And I nailed it! This Pina Colada had all the creaminess of the rich high calorie one, without the high calories.
What is a classic Pina Colada?
A pina colada traditionally is Rum, Pineapple juice, and coconut milk or coconut cream. Well, I don’t drink alcohol but I had recently bought a sample of Clean Simple Eats Coconut cream protein powder (you can get Clean Simple Eats protein samples here with my 10% off Affiliate discount)
Ingredients in homemade Pina Colada Protein Shakes
So, I decided to try my healthier pina colada using:
- The Clean Simple Eats Coconut Cream Protein. You could also do this with vanilla protein powder and coconut extract!
- A frozen banana (to give it a tropical taste but also a creamy texture)
- Skim milk (you could also use coconut milk!)
- and ice.
While I didn’t use pineapple juice like a classic Pina Colada, I did add a pineapple to the top, along with whipping cream and garnished it with flaked coconut.
I’m not sure if I’m boring or smart, but my meals have the same consistent pattern every day! It’s been so helpful in losing weight, and keeping it off for me.
I eat 4 x a day (even though, I still stand by my idea that no snacking, whether it’s eating three or four times per day is the BEST way to lose weight- READ Stop snacking to lose weight here!)
Every day I usually eat:
- Breakfast: Eggs and oatmeal and/or fruit
- Lunch: Chicken and sweet potato or chicken and salad
- Snack/Dessert: A protein shake or protein bar
- Dinner Ground turkey (or other protein) with rice and veggies
So, give this healthy Pina Colada Protein smoothie a try! You won’t regret it!
If you like this recipe, you might also like
Pina Colada Protein Shake
- 1 scoop CSE Coconut Cream Protein Powder (or vanilla protein powder with coconut extract)
- 1 medium frozen banana
- 8 ounces skim milk
- 1 handful Ice
- 1 small marishino cherry
- 1/4 slice pineapple
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream
- Blend protein powder, milk, ice, and frozen banana in a high powered blender.
- Pour into glass and garnish with pineapple, coconut flakes, whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.
PIN THIS FOR LATER AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!