250 Calorie Waffle Iron Breakfast Sandwich. Make your egg and cheese sandwich, including the egg in a waffle iron. Less mess, portable, and delicious.Jump to Recipe
Whether you want a quick breakfast egg and cheese sandwich, or you just don’t want to take out a skillet and heat up your stove top, use a waffle iron instead!
This egg and cheese sandwich is lower in calories than a classic egg and cheese sandwich. The total calories and macros for this sandwich are 250 calories, 25 g carbs, 16 g protein, and 13 grams of fat.
Here’s how I reduced the calories:
- I used Dave’s Killer Bread, thin sliced 60 calories per slice! This week was the first time I saw this option at my grocery store. I’ve been enjoying the 70 and 80 calorie bread from Killer Dave, but 60 is a new low! Plus, it’s so seedy and hearty, that I consider it quite filling.
- I used just one egg. One egg is 72 calories, so that’s the majority of the 250 calories here. And yes, you can crack and cook the egg right on the waffle iron! No need to whisk ahead of time, or be concerned with any of it sticking. Every time I’ve cooked a whole egg on a waffle iron, it comes out perfectly! (see the image below)
- 1 slice of cheese, equal to 1/2 ounce. At the grocery store, check the labels. Some cheese is sliced thin enough to be 1/2 ounce per slice, which is good news for calorie counters like me! A full ounce of cheddar cheese is 110 calories, but if you can get a 65 calorie slice, or better yet a 45 calorie one (sargento’s thin sliced cheese), than you can save quite a bit of calories.
- And that’s it!
Spray a waffle iron with cooking spray. Add 1 slice of bread in the middle. Add the hard cooked egg and cheese. Top with one more slice of bread, and close waffle iron until cheese is melted, and bread gets crispy.
Waffle Iron Breakfast Egg & Cheese Sandwich
- Cooking spray
- 1 large egg
- 2 slices Dave's Killer Bread, thin sliced (the 60 calorie one)
- 1/2 ounce cheddar cheese (thin sliced cheese)
- Spray a heated waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Crack one egg onto one corner of your waffle iron. Close the lid and cook for 1-2 minutes., or until your indicator light goes on.
- Remove the egg from the waffle iron and replace that spot with one slice of bread. Top the bread with the thin sliced cheese, egg, and top it with one more slice of bread. Close the lid to cook the bread and melt the cheese.
- Remove from waffle iron and enjoy!