This is the best, low fat, low calorie tomato soup recipe. It’s so basic, yet so delicious! I added canned tomatoes, fresh basil, chicken broth, garlic, onions, and salt! That’s it!Jump to Recipe
I’m down to the last three weeks on this bikini prep. However, I’m aiming to be as lean as I possibly can be in two weeks. That way, the final week I won’t be so stressed.
So, that means, the next two weeks, I am going to be 100% on point with my weight loss, keep my portions under control, and eat as many very low calorie foods as I can. (check out my 1200 calorie plan here)
I’ve honestly never been a fan of tomatoes before. But right now, I must just be that hungry! One tomato only has 24 calories, which totally fits into my plan right now! In fact, sometimes, I don’t even track it!
Which is why I decided to make some low calorie tomato soup! Chicken broth only has 10 calories per cup. The rest of my ingredients were definiteily negligible. So, the bulk of the calories for this tomato soup really just comes down to the can of tomatoes.
Low Calorie Tomato Soup ingredients:
To keep this low in calories, I used:
- Chicken broth (5 calories because I used 1/2 cup)
- A 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes (63 calories)
- Garlic (didn’t really count it… just a tiny bit)
- Balsamic vinegar (10 calories)
- Basil leaves (12 calories)
- Onions (small amount- 20 calories worth)
What to serve with Tomato Soup:
In full disclosure, I ate chicken breasts with this soup. Remember, I’m only 3 weeks way from wearing a bikini on stage!
But, for my family, I made 5 minute artisan bread. I make this 2 out of 4 Sunday’s a month, and it turns out delicious. Every. Single. Time!
I’m not gonna lie. I wanted some bread! I didn’t eat any. Not that it wouldn’t fit in my plan, but If I had one, I’d want ten pieces. So I had none.
We also added feta cheese to the top, which was DIVINE!
How to make chunky Tomato Basil Soup
This soup is so basic, you’ll ask yourself why you haven’t made it more often.
I combined the onions, garlic, tomatoes, basil leaves, chicken broth, balsamic vinegar and salt in a pot and boiled it for 15 minutes. Then, I dumped into a blender. But, I only blended for 2 seconds. I touched on, and then off again, very quickly! I wanted to keep it chunky.
Then, I put it back in the pot, and simmered a few more minutes. That’s basically it!
A note about fresh basil
Fresh basil plants are usually found in the produce department, and they are cheaper than a clam shell box of herbs. My basil plant pictured below was only 2.99! I could basically let the plant die and buy a new one each time I go to the store, and it’s still cheaper than buying basil leaves already cut for you.
Let me know if you try this low calorie tomato soup! And what foods you decide to pair with it!
Low Calorie Tomato Soup
- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic minced
- 14.5 ounce diced tomatoes canned
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 dash salt
- Chop onion and mince garlic. In a small pot, spray with cooking spray and saute onion and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Dump all remaining ingredients in. Tomatoes, chicken broth, basil, balsamic vinegar, and salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once at a bowl, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Dump soup into a small blender, or use an immersion blender. If you want to keep this chunky, only blend for 2-3 seconds.
- Return to pot and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with extra basil, feta cheese, or Parmesan cheese (and more salt!)
Follow on pinterest for more healthy recipes and low calorie meal ideas!
READ NEXT –> CRISPY LOW CALORIE CHICKEN TENDERS