For delicious coconut macaroons, that will support your weight loss goals, try this recipe!
Recently, I picked up a bag of Monk Fruit at Costco. Of course, it was on sample, and I had never tried it before. Generally, I’ve stayed away from sugar substitutes for baking, because I didn’t trust that my treats would turn out. However, the taste of this sugar was great, so I bought the bag, like I do with most Costco samples.
Monk fruit (here on Amazon) is Erythritol combined with monk fruit extract. How much of the monk fruit they use, I really don’t know. But, beyond adding it to some YUMMY lemon water, this Macaroon is my first cookie with it.
I made these a few times to get it just right. What I learned, is they just need to cook slow at a low heat in order for the inside to cook before the outside.
Also, I’ve made them with and without chocolate. Without chocolate, the calories come down by about 10 calories, but with the chocolate, it is so worth the extra.
Also, you can try this with unsweetened coconut, and that would bring the calories AND the carbs down, but I really liked the real thing.
Low Calorie Coconut Macaroons
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or almond extract)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons monk fruit sweetener (or any zero calorie sugar)
- 1 bag sweetened coconut flakes (3 1/4 cup loose packed)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup almond slices (optional)
- Beat egg whites, salt, sugar substitute, and vanilla until stiff and fluffy.
- Fold in coconut fakes and flour. Scoop with a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop (mid-size one) onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- For the macros to be correct, you should get 36 cookies. Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes *or until golden on top. Do not overbake.
- Melt chocolate chips and drizzle over the top with a slivered or sliced almond.
- Homemade Cinnamon Protein Donut Recipe
- Quick and Tasty Chocolate Protein Kodiak Cookies
- Best Low Calorie Chocolate Kodiak Cakes
- 21 Best Low Calorie Road Trip Snacks
- Low Calorie Peanut Butter Cookies