Low carb breakfast idea: The sweet, cake batter chaffle! Take out the sprinkles and this breakfast chaffle would almost be no carb!
Breakfast is my absolute favorite meal of the day. Actually breakfast food that is. I do wake up early to workout. I prefer working out on an empty stomach. Then, I come home, shower, and answer emails. I don’t usually have breakfast until 9-10am. Kind of a mini- intermittent fasting schedule.
I’ve been digging the chaffle recipes lately, because they are so tasty! Quick and Easy to make, a chaffle is just a cheese-waffle, that is usually low in calories and low in carbs, depending on what ingredients you want to add.
A classic chaffle contains an egg and cheese (cheese waffle). Combine the egg and cheese, and cook it on a waffle iron. SO YUMMY!!
To make a sweet chaffle, swap the standard cheddar cheese for mozarella cheese and other sweeter ingredients. (see the pumpkin chaffle here)
I’ve also tried a chicken chaffle! It’s just like chicken parmesan, but literally takes minutes to make!
This particular breakfast chaffle, started with me finding cake Batter extract at Walmart this morning! I was so excited to use it in something. So I started with a chaffle!
For the rest of the recipe, I used:
- Egg whites (to lower the fat and calories)
- mozzarella cheese (to lower fat and have a milder/sweeter flavor)
- Baking powder, to make the waffles rise slightly
- The sprinkles, to make it fun, and birthday like.
- The whipped cream!! Because- why not?
This makes one big or two small mini Dash maker waffles.
If you are counting calories, the total calories and macros for this recipe includes 74 total calories, 8 grams of protein, 4 grams of carbs, and 2 grams of fat.
Low Carb Cake Batter Chaffles
- Waffle Iron
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 1/2 ounce mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cake batter flavoring
- 1 teaspoon sprinkles
- 2 tablespoons whipped topping optional
- Mix all ingredients except sprinkles. Spray a small dash waffle maker or regular size waffle maker.
- Pour into waffle maker and top with sprinkles. cook until no longer runny
Let me know if you decide to try this, or any of the other chaffles! Tag me (and follow me) in your pictures on instagram at instagram.com/healthbeet.
PIN TO YOUR FAVORITE HEALTHY BREAKFAST BOARDS AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!