This easy, high protein, low carb, low calorie, Chicken Parmesan Chaffle only takes 5 minutes to make! You can have dinner in less time than you can order take-out!
This past week we had the opportunity to spend a few days camping with some new friends! We went white water rafting on the Payette River in Idaho for 4 days.
One of our friends from this group went to Culinary school on the East Coast. I was thrilled to chat with her about all the food she cooks! She is also the one that first introduced me to Chaffles that I wrote about a few weeks ago (Eggs and cheese made into a waffle!)
I told her how much I loved the Chaffles, so she told me how to take it to the next level to make a quick and easy chicken Parmesan chaffle! I couldn’t wait to get home to make it.
What’s included in the Low Calorie Chicken Parmesan Chaffle?
Chaffles have become popular in the keto community as a high fat recipe. Most people make them with whole eggs and full fat cheese.
However, being a low calorie (high protein, low carb, low fat) type of eater, I was very interested in modifying it to be low calorie and low fat. (see my 1200 calorie high protein, low carb meal plan here)
This is why MY Chicken Parmesan Chaffle has
- Egg whites (substituted for the full egg)
- and fat free cheeses (instead of whole fat cheese)
These two swaps bring the calories down significantly. A full fat chaffle would be double the calories for sure.
What do you need to make a Chicken Parmesan Chaffle?
- I LOVE the DASH! I have made a few different recipes with this mini waffle maker. The last Chaffle I made in the dash here. But I also made these 90 calorie waffles. It’s only $10 at Target or Amazon.
- If you don’t have a dash, it’s OK! You can either cook the same amount from the recipe in a corner of your regular waffle iron, or double the recipe and use the center.
- Then of course, your ingredients. I just used egg whites, chicken, fat free mozzarella, spaghetti sauce and some fresh basil. But, you can also add Parmesan cheese. She said when you put the Parmesan cheese on the griddle first, it gives a nice crispy, crusty bottom to it.
For the nutrition totals on the chaffle alone, it came to:
- 81 calories
- 14 g protein
- 2 g carbs
- 1 g fat
Make it a low calorie Chicken Chaffle sandwich!
BUT THEN, I took it up a notch. Unlike the Keto crowd, I’m a big fan of carbs. So, I not only made the Chaffle and ate it alone, but I also made one into a sandwich with a low calorie bagel!
The low calorie bagels I buy are the Bubba’s thin sliced bagels. They are only 100 calories per bagel.
For the double decker sandwich (two chaffles and a bagel), it was
- 252 calories
- 33 g protein
- 24 g carbs
- 2 g fat
And then, that’s it! I can’t wait for you to try this for your next healthy, low calorie lunch idea! Leave a 5 star review if you like it!
5 Minute Chicken Parmesan Chaffle
- Waffle Iron
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 ounce shredded chicken
- 1 tablespoon Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 tablespoon fat free mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese Optional (I didn't use it for these pictures)
- Whisk 3 tablespoons egg whites in a small bowl.
- Spray a small (mini) waffle iron with cooking spray. If you don't have a mini waffle iron, it's OK! You can either cook the same amount from the recipe in a corner of your regular waffle iron, or double the recipe and use the center. (Optional: sprinkle Parmesan cheese along bottom of waffle iron for a crispy bottom.)
- Spoon egg whites onto waffle iron slowly, letting it start to set. Sprinkle shredded chicken on top of the egg whites. Close the waffle iron to cook until finished.
- After Chaffle is cooked, top with 1 tablespoon spaghetti sauce and 1 tablespoon fat free Mozzarella cheese. Heat in microwave to melt cheese.
- Add salt if needed and eat!
READ NEXT -> Homemade Low Calorie Chick-fil-a Grilled Nuggets
Pin onto your favorite high protein recipe board