The 10 best low calorie salad dressings on the internet! I even found a ZERO calorie salad dressing!!
I love a good salad! It is fun to experiment with different vegetables, greens, and creative toppings. I feel that the dressing can make or break the salad. But dressings can upend your calorie goals if you are not careful.
Some “healthy” salads can end up being as high in calories as a burger and fries. Store bought dressings can also sneak in ingredients you may not want like Sucralose or other artificial sweeteners. I prefer to make my own dressings so I can control the contents and keep my dressings clean and low calorie. Making your own dressings is simple and quick.
4 salad dressing recipe tips to keep in mind:
- Don’t make too much. Fresh dressings will spoil fast so just make 4-5 servings to keep them fresh
- Mason jars with lids make great containers for homemade dressings
- Don’t “overdress” your salad. These recipes will tend to not be as thick as full-fat dressings so they will come out of the bottle fast! Pour slowly!
- Variety will keep you loving your salads so experiment with what you like. All your favorite dressings have low calorie versions to try.
Here are some good salad dressings to start with
- Love an Asian salad? I’m a fan of the tangy rice vinegar and fresh ginger. With a vegetable broth base, this Low calorie Asian Dressing recipe has only 5 calories and all the flavors you love.
- Summer = Caesar Salad in my mind! Grill some chicken, add some romaine, a touch of parmesan, and then this version of a traditional Caesar dressing. Only 52 calories per serving for this 3-minute-skinny-caesar-dressing
- Another summer favorite is a citrus dressing. The orange juice gives this dressing higher sugar content, but it only has 27 calories and complements a cool summer salad. Grab this orange-vinaigrette dressing!
- Let’s try a traditional ranch. This recipe uses a Greek yogurt base (popular in non-fat recipes) and all the traditional seasonings for a 19 calorie yummy ranch dressing. Recipe found here: healthy-greek-yogurt-ranch-dressing
- I love a poppy seed dressing over spinach and strawberries with a little feta cheese. Yummy and sweetened with your choice of maple syrup, sugar, or honey this lightened up poppyseed dressing is a win for me.
- Trim up your Italian meals by making your plate mostly salad. This Italian/herb salad dressing uses just a small amount of olive oil to keep calories at 77 per serving. Delicious!
- I can’t leave out the traditional Thousand Island dressing! While, this is not my favorite salad dressing of choice, I do love it as a dip or on a sandwich. This thousand island dressing recipe keeps a good flavor by adding some low calorie mayonnaise along with the Greek yogurt.
- I am a huge fan of mustard so a Dijon recipe is a must! Sweet and tangy, this fat free dijon has got to make it onto our list of low cal dressings.
- A good balsamic dressing can’t be beat! It is so versatile and compliments many meals and salad types. If you’re not sure what to dress your salad with try this low cal version of a classic Oil-free-salad-dressing
- Finally, this 0 calorie dressing is made with just water, white vinegar, and seasonings. It proves you can add that zing to your salad without loads (or any) calories. Just enjoy the delicious taste of your vegetables with just enough tang to give it a good flavor.
Let me know which dressing recipe is your favorite!
Pin it here