13 Best Low Calorie Sauces & Dressings You Can Find at The Store
Flavor up any meal, without the calories. Bring this list to the store next time you are shopping if you are looking for the best low calorie sauces and dressings!
Adding sauce to meat, pasta, or veggies can often be high in calories. A lot of sauces are loaded with sugar and oils. When you are trying to cut calories, and every calorie counts, it can be tempting to remove condiments from your diet.
But, there are some healthier options! Here’s 13 of my favorite sauces that keep calories low, but flavor high.
6 Tips for Reducing Calories and Increasing Flavor
- Use sauces and dressing with little to no added sugar
- Use low fat options
- If it does have fat, use those with healthy fats such as olive, or avocado oil
- Vinegars give a punch of flavor such as balsamic or apple cider
- Fresh herbs are great on just about any meal
- Lemon juice is great to have on hand
My Favorite Low Calorie Hot Sauces
Cholula is a blend of arbol & piquin peppers with spices.
- There are a few options like Cholula. It has a Mexican spicy vinegar taste and it’s great on eggs, tacos or to add more spice to chili.
- 1 tsp has 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 carbs, 0 protein, but it does have 110 mg of sodium!
Sriracha is a low calorie sauce, generally made from chilies and vinegar.
- I like using this to add some spice to Asian dishes like stir fry. I also like to make a spicy dressing for salads. You can even add to tuna with a little mayo or Greek yogurt.
- 1 tsp has 0 calories, 0 fat, 1 g carbs, 0 protein, and 70 mg of sodium.
3) Mild Taco Bell Taco Sauce
If you prefer a milder ‘hot sauce’, this one with the Taco Bell brand is delicious.
- The Mild Taco Bell sauce has 0 calories, 0 g protein, 0 g carbs, 0 g fat and only 25 mg sodium!
Low Calorie Condiments
4) Liquid Aminos
Liquid Aminos is flavoring made from soybeans.
- This is similar to soy sauce but not as salty. I like using this for marinating meats or adding to rice bowls.
- 1 tsp has 5 calories, 0 fat, 1 g carbs, 1 g protein, and is very high in sodium with 310 mg.
5) Balsamic Vinegar
Balsamic vinegar is made from unfermented grape juice.
- You use balsamic vinegar by itself to save calories. But you could also add oil and herbs to the vinegar. I like to use it as a salad dressing, or pasta salad and even marinade for chicken.
- 1 tsp has 15 calories, 0 fat, 3 g carbs, 0 protein, and 0 mg sodium.
Mustard is a zero calorie condiment made from vinegar and mustard seeds.
- There are so many varieties of mustard. I like using different types of mustard on sandwiches to spice it up. You can make a low calorie dressing with mustard, lemon juice and a little oil.
- 1 tsp of classic mustard has 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 g carbs, 0 protein, and 55 mg sodium
Low Calorie dressings
7) Yogurt Ranch Dressing
Bolthouse Yogurt dressings are hands down, the best tasting low calorie dressings at the store.
- This is a great low calorie ranch, you don’t have to give up ranch dressing.
- 2 tablespoons has 45 calories, 3 g fat, 3 g carbs, 1 g protein, and 230 mg sodium
8) Sugar Free/Fat Free Poppyseed Dressing
Another low calorie dressing line, Skinny Girl!
- For those that love sweet poppyseed dressing this is a sugar free option (it’s sweetened with sucralose). This goes well with chicken salad or use as a dressing on salads.
- 2 tablespoons has 10 calories, 0 fat, 3 g carbs, 0 protein, and 210 mg of sodium.
9) Green Goddess Dressing
Another delicious, low calorie dressing is the Green Goddess salad dressing from Trader Joe’s.
- The Avocado dressing from Trader Joe’s is full of fresh herbs and goes great on a salad, wrap or even just to top a protein veggie bowl.
- 2 tablespoons has 20 calories, 2 g fat, 1 g carbs, 0 protein, and only 95 mg sodium.
Tzatizki is a dip or sauce made from Greek yogurt, cucumber, dill, and vinegar. (source)
- Tzatziki is delicious on wraps. It also goes well with meat and a dip for veggies.
- 2 tablespoons has 60 calories, 4.5 g fat, 2 g carbs, 1 g protein, and 200 mg sodium (nutrition data from this brand)
11) Romesco Dip
Made with peppers, nuts, oil and vinegar, Romesco Dip might be your favorite.
- This is another Trader Joe’s find, if you like roasted peppers this one’s for you. Add as a spread on a sandwich, or top a protein bowl.
- 2 tablespoons has 35 calories, 3 g fat, 2 g carbs, 0 protein, and 140 mg sodium
Low Calorie Sauces
12) Sugar Free BBQ Sauce
If you haven’t seen the line up of GHughes sugar free sauces yet, they are getting good! All the sauces range between 10-20 calories for two tablespoons, 0 protein, 0 fat, and 2 grams of carbs with 200 mg of sodium.
13) Low Calorie Spaghetti Sauce
And finally, spaghetti sauce. For a tomato based sauce, you’d think the calories wouldn’t be that high. But a lot of spaghetti sauce is drowning in sugar.
My top pick for low calorie spaghetti sauce is Hunt’s No added sugar. It’s only 25 calories for 1/2 cup, but it has 610 mg of sodium! That’s pretty high, so use sparingly. You can put this on pasta, but I really like it on zoodles!
Those are my picks for low calorie sauces and dressings. What are your favorites?