This is the best recipe for edible high protein cookie dough. I used only 6 ingredients: Vanilla whey protein powder, flour, light butter, egg whites, mini chocolate chips, and vanilla extract! DELICIOUS!
I see recipes for protein cookie dough all over the internet. And I’ve tried them all! But none of them were right for me. They either were
- High in fat because they used nut butters or seed butters.
- Had a terrible after taste because they used fake sugars.
- Were too gritty because they use chickpeas.
- They were too high in calories because they had too many ingredients.
- Or they weren’t very high in protein, defeating the whole purpose of making a high protein cookie dough!
So for the past month, I’ve made about twenty, little batches of cookie dough. Trying different variations, until I nailed it!
And I nailed it!
With this recipe, I can safely say, there was no aftertaste. It’s sufficiently low in calories and fat. It’s high enough in protein that I feel great about eating it. There is no gritty texture.
How to make edible protein cookie dough.
My best advice to make this cookie dough is this:
- Make sure you are using pasteurized egg whites. I buy these in the carton from Costco. Making this with egg whites straight from the shell would make it so your protein cookie dough isn’t edible.
- Experiment with different vanilla protein powders. The final flavor depends HEAVILY on the protein powder you use. I use the Optimum Nutrition protein powder you can get at Costco, Walmart, or Amazon. It’s the most affordable, and it tastes great. I’m sure there are brands that could taste even BETTER, and I’m determined to find those!
- Don’t over liquify this! It will be tempting to add more liquid, but wait!! Use your hands to really press this together and get it to turn into a batter before you add more liquid. There is a point where it comes together. Whenever I added liquid or a tablespoon more of egg whites, the results were super sticky and wet.
- Country crock light butter! This stuff is golden. It only has 35 calories per tablespoon and I really think it makes this the closest to cookie dough.
So, give it a try and tag me on instagram! @healthbeet. Let me know what you think of this protein powder cookie dough!
Best Edible Protein Cookie Dough
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together protein powder with the flour.
- Add the light butter, egg whites, and vanilla extract. To be edible, the egg whites should be pasteurized. Usually the carton/boxed egg whites will label them this way.
- Stir all ingredients together. You will think that it will never come together, but if you add too much more liquid, it's too much. You can work the batter with your hands until a dough forms.
- Depending on the type of protein powder you are using (some absorb the liquid better than others), you CAN add 1-2 TEASPOONS (not tablespoons) more of the egg white to help you make the dough. But, I warn you, a full second tablespoon is probably too much and you'll get super sticky dough.
- Knead the chocolate chips into the dough with your hands until mixed together.
- Portion into 1 tablespoon servings or balls for the calories and macros to equal what is listed. If not eating right away, chill in the fridge!
Pin to your favorite healthy dessert boards on pinterest!