Affirmations are a powerful way to create your ideal life. These weight loss affirmation can help you reach your goals by creating the intentions and behaviors that will help you finally lose the weight for good.
Our thoughts have the power to shape our lives. And when your goal is to lose weight, starting with your thoughts can give you a huge advantage.
Some people credit Buddha for saying,
” What you think,you become. What you feel you attract. What you imagine you create.”Buddha
Will Affirmations Work for Weight Loss?
Becoming the person you want to become, begins with how you think about yourself.
Thinking about yourself as a leaner person makes you act in ways a lean person would act. You eat better, you want to exercise, and you feel more confident and disciplined with your life.
It’s been shown that someone who takes on an identity, rather than trying to resist a behavior, has more success. For example, in response to someone offering you a cigarette; do you respond with: I’m not a smoker, or, I’m trying to quit smoking. If you aren’t a smoker, you would never accept the cigarette.
Likewise, when I tell myself, “I’m an athlete”, I push harder at the gym. I also eat better to fuel performance. If I say, “I’m TRYING to lose weight, I may opt for Netflix and popcorn instead of head to the gym. (read my weight loss transformation here)
Does science support self affirmation
When practiced regularly and consistently, YES! Science does support the effectiveness of reciting affirmations to reach our goals. The key is consistency, and I’m not sure we ever really give it a chance. Most of us give up before we succeed.
According to a 1988 study, “we can maintain our sense of self-integrity by telling ourselves (or affirming) what we believe in positive ways.” (source) By affirming that we live a healthy life that supports weight loss, our mind guides our behavior to make it true..
Another study demonstrates: “participants who were affirmed showed increased activity in key regions of the brain’s self-processing and valuation systems when reflecting on future-oriented core values. Furthermore, this neural activity went on to predict changes in sedentary behavior consistent with successful affirmation in response to a separate physical activity intervention. (source)
Weight Loss Affirmations Focused On Intention
“Your intentions set the stage for what is possible. They remind you moment to moment of why you are practicing.” Jon Kabot-Zinn
An intention can be a positive affirmation, mantra, prayer, or anything to remind you why you are practicing mindfulness. Affirmations can create a powerful, positive inner dialogue. Dan Harris talks about a “critical voice”
in his book 10% Happier.
Recognizing this critical voice helps us recognize our inner dialogue that can derail healthy intentions. When we practice positive affirmations, we can reverse destructive thought patterns. The neurological patterns of the brain that are fixed on negative self-talk can change!
By utilizing positive affirmations, we can begin to alter our thinking and critical voice, like creating a new muscle. We can practice creating new ways of believing and transform ourselves, our habits, and our well-being.
An intention, or affirmation, can help us see clearly in present moment. Like the monkey mind, focusing on why you are doing what you are doing, can help you realign while practicing mindfulness. The most important thing, is to remember the most important thing.
Here are 5 tips to help you focus on your own personal “why” as you participate in these mindfulness practices:
- What is the most important thing for you to remember while on this journey?
- Choose an affirmation each day, or one affirmation to use the entire time.
- Write your affirmation on your mirror or a post-it note. Stick it in your pocket, on your screensaver, or somewhere you will see it often and be reminded of your intention.
- Repeat this affirmation in your mind throughout the day.
- Soak in this affirmation and let it guide you back to your intention and goal.
52 Affirmations for losing weight.
The affirmations are there to rewrite the stories and paradigms in your mind to support new ideas and positive self talk!
- I am active and full of energy.
- My life is more interesting than my next meal.
- Unhealthy foods don’t appeal to me. My body craves healthy, whole, real food!
- Snacking and eating between meals does not serve me or my goals.
- I pause and evaluate before I give into cravings.
- Today I choose healing and nourishing my body.
- I am aligned with my higher self.
- I’m an athlete, capable of incredible discipline.
- I value self control and self mastery over giving into indulgence and temporary impulses.
- I recognize what has not been working for me in the past, and I have courage to change.
- I’ve conquered my impulsive nature, and choose food with intention and integrity.
- I wake up each day with a clear determination to reach my ideal weight.
- Each time I resist temptation, I strengthen my own self mastery.
- I don’t compare myself to others. I’m on my own journey.
- I am strong enough to withstand the bumps and bruises of life.
- I am fit, healthy, and bursting with energy.
- I allow my journey to be unique to me.
- Maintaining my ideal weight is easy.
- I eat well, listen well, and live well.
- I acknowledge that my thoughts are just thoughts. They are not real.
- I can be present. I only do one thing at a time.
- I turn everyday tasks into mindful moments
- I challenge existing beliefs.
- I make peace with the past.
- I get outdoors and embrace the beauty of nature.
- I enjoy every bite when I eat.
- My health, vitality, and energy increase with every breath I take.
- I think before I eat.
- Every cell in my body gets nourished by what I choose to put in my mouth.
- There is new hope in every day
- My will to live is stronger than my craving.
- I find confidence in feeling healthy, vibrant and strong.
- I enjoy moving my body and feeling my heart pumping.
- I think before I eat impulsively.
- My healthy habits are a part of my life that I enjoy.
- I realize thoughts are just thoughts and they can be changed.
- I have an inner determination beyond food, weight, and the scale.
- Today, I choose healing and nourishing my body, mind, and spirit.
- I am creating a life of abundance.
- My purpose-filled life allows me to enjoy every moment.
- I am moving forward each day.
- I crave vegetables and whole foods to feel invigorated.
- I properly chew all the food that I eat so it gets digested properly and this helps me reach my ideal weight.
- My metabolism is running optimally, helping me achieve my desired weight.
- I let go of the guilt I have around food.
- I breathe in relaxation and breathe out stress.
- My journey is unique and I do not compare myself to other people who are also losing weight.
- I drink an abundance of water as it stokes my metabolism and mood.
- My food choices are consistent with my desire to be my optimal weight.
- I am willing to learn new things each day.
- I crave mindfulness each day.
- I am on a lifelong path of wellness. Each day I recommit to being my best self.
These are the 52 weight loss affirmations I’ve used or helped others to use. Print your own copy of the self-affirmations here!
What would you add?
READ NEXT –> 40 PROMPTS FOR YOUR FOOD JOURNAL
PIN FOR LATER