If you need a healthy, low calorie zucchini muffin recipe, this is the one for you! Made with applesauce, monk sugar, cinnamon and zucchini, the calories are only 131 per muffin.
I just planted my zucchini seeds about 3 weeks ago, and they are already sprouting! I’m admittedly the worst gardener around. I garden via the method, “spray and pray”. I literally sprinkle seeds around the dirt, and hope that they sprout.
I’m OK with my lack of gardening skills when it comes to zucchini though. In Utah, zucchini is popular for it’s ability to have daily harvests, despite any effort to prune and cut back. It grows like a weed!
Why is zucchini healthy?
Zucchini is a healthy, nutrient dense veggie, as opposed to energy dense. This means for every calorie there are more nutrients than other foods. An energy dense food would be packed with more calories than nutrients.
Zucchini only has 17 calories per cup, and is dense with:
- and vitamin A
How can zucchini help with weight loss?
Zucchini is such a great veggie to assist with weight loss.
- It’s got a high water content, so it feels filling.
- Zucchini can be a substitute for pasta, saving calories for your meal. Check out these three recipes for zoodles!
- Research indicates increased vegetable consumption is associated with weight loss and weight maintenance (source)
- The vitamins and minerals help to fill nutrient deficiency’s, creating an environment for weight loss and muscle gain.
All of these benefits make it a perfect ingredient for low calorie zucchini muffins!
How to lower calories in zucchini muffins:
My original zucchini muffin recipe had 259 calories PER MUFFIN! To make these muffins lower in calories, I only changed two things. The fat and the sugar!
- I cut the oil in half and replaced half with applesauce.
- I cut the sugar out and replaced it with Monk sugar for zero calories).
Low Calorie Zucchini Muffins
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup monk sugar
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- Mix wet ingredients together (applesauce, oil, vanilla, sugar, egg whites, and egg.
- Stir together dry ingredients in separate bowl. (cinnamon, flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder)
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir till moistened.
- Fold zucchini into batter.
- Scoop batter into 10 muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until muffins are cooked through.
Now it’s your turn! Try these low calorie zucchini muffins and tag me in your pictures when you do! (#healthbeet or @healthbeet on instagram!)