These gluten free zucchini muffins are low in calories and delicious! Packed full of zucchini, these are nutrient dense and good for you!Jump to Recipe
Each mini zucchini muffin is 53 calories, 1 g protein, 10 g carbs, and 2 g fat.
What is the best flour for gluten free muffins?
I’m a big fan of the Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free flour. It’s made from rice flour. And you know what?? My muffins turned out PERFECT! Gluten free flour can be used in place of regular flour at a 1:1 ratio. If you are looking to lower gluten, try substituting gluten free flour in your favorite recipes. With items such as cakes or breads, it is recommended to add 1 t of xanthan gum to your favorite gluten free flour. Xanthan gum will help with the texture and keep cakes and breads from crumbling.
What are the health benefits of zucchini?
- Zucchini is rich in many vitamins and minerals, including but not exclusive to: fiber, vitamin A, manganese, vitamin C, potassium, Vitamin K, and Vitamin B6. 1 cup of grated zucchini is like taking a multi-vitamin!
- Antioxidants are found in high levels in zucchini. Antioxidants are helpful plant compounds that reduce free radical damage in our bodies.
- The high water content found in zucchini aids in digestion. It also contains both soluble and insoluble fiber which is needed for healthy digestion. Insoluble fiber will help food move through your system more easily. Soluble fiber feed beneficial bacteria living in your gut.
- Zucchini can help lower blood-sugar levels. The fiber helps to stabilize blood sugars and zucchini makes a great carb-free substitute for pasta (like this recipe for low calorie lasagne)
- Pectin, a soluble fiber found in zucchini, has been found to be effective in lowering LDL cholesterol (bad) levels, thus reducing the risk of heart disease. Zucchini’s high potassium level can also aid in lowering high blood pressure
- Vitamins A and C found in zucchini can improve eye health. Zucchini also contains lutein and zeaxanthin 2 antioxidants found to improve vision by reducing blue light wavelengths.
- Weight loss! Zucchini has a low calorie density which makes you feel full on very few calories. Add that to all the vitamins mentioned about and zucchini is a win/win food!
- Carotenoids in zucchini build up it’s skin and do the same thing for our skin. That build-up will help protect our skin from UV rays and pollution. They also help keep our skin hydrated and elastic. Eating zucchini = healthier skin!
- Zucchini is rich in antioxidants that reduce inflammation. Most of these are found in the skin, so try and eat the skin along with the flesh
What ingredients are in gluten free zucchini muffins?
- zucchini: low in calories and gives many health benefits seen above
- applesauce: natural sweetener and allows you to cut down the amount of oil, reducing fat content and calories
- oil: needed for moisture
- monk sugar, or zero calorie sweetener: for sweetening without calorie addition
- egg whites plus a whole egg: adds protein and aids in structure and flavor
- cinnamon: Yum!
- gluten free flour: you can substitute regular flour if you prefer, but gluten free flour work really well with this recipe
- salt, baking powder and baking soda
If you want frosting on top, I love to use a mixture of
- Light cream cheese
- and the Lakanto zero calorie powdered sugar sweetener
If you like this recipe, you might also like
Gluten Free Low Sugar Mini Zucchini Muffins
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup monk sugar
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 2 tablespoons light spreadable cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons zero calorie powdered sweetener
- Mix wet ingredients together (applesauce, oil, vanilla, sugar, egg whites, and egg.
- Stir together dry ingredients in separate bowl. (cinnamon, flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder)
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir till moistened.
- Fold zucchini into batter.
- Scoop batter into 24-26 mini muffin cups.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 10-15 minutes, or until muffins are cooked through.
- After muffins cool, top with a mixture of light cream cheese and zero calorie powdered sugar.
PIN THIS FOR LATER AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!