Made with nonfat plain Greek yogurt, applesauce, and fresh shredded zucchini, this low calorie zucchini bread recipe has half the sugar, and ALL the flavor!Jump to Recipe
Why you should try this low calorie zucchini bread recipe
The zucchini is ready to harvest, and I’m always ready to bake! I needed a lower calorie zucchini bread because the recipe I usually follow, especially when making this for other people has 220 calories per slice, and full of oil and sugar.
My version, I was able to knock it down in HALF! 129 calories per slice, and so much healthier.
Low Fat & Low Calorie Substitutions
Some substitutions I made to make this zucchini bread healthier were:
- Nonfat plain greek yogurt. I like using Greek yogurt in baked goods to boost the protein a little, without compromising the texture.
- Applesauce– A classic substitution in low fat cooking for oil, applesauce has been used as a good replacement since the 80’s! I love to do this.
- Less sugar– I did try some sugar free substitutes, but I was just never happy with the flavor. Finally, I opted to just extremely limit the sugar. My classic recipe has 2 cups of sugar, and this one, we got away with 1/2 cup! Such a HUGE calorie savings.
So, give this zucchini bread a try, and still stick with your health and nutrition goals!
Healthy Low calorie low fat Zucchini Bread
- 1/2 cup Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 cups Shredded Zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Whisk together the yogurt, applesauce, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add the self rising flour and cinnamon and stir till combined.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini.
- If you don't have self rising flour, you can use all purpose flour and add baking powder and salt- however, I get the best texture and doneness with the self rising flour.
- Pour into 9X5 WELL GREASED loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 70 minutes, or until you can put a knife in and remove without batter on it.
- I have the best results if after 30 minutes I cover the bread with foil so the top doesn't burn while the insides cook!
PIN THIS FOR LATER AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!