Low Sugar & Low Calorie Rice Crispy Treats
Made with sugar free marshmallows, these low sugar, low calorie rice crispy treats taste as good as classic, but with half the calories, fewer carbs, and 90% less sugar!Jump to Recipe
The calories and macros for this lower calorie recipe for rice crispy treats are 50 calories per bar, 11 g carbs, 1 g protein, and 1 gram of fat.
How to make rice crispy treats lower in calories
I was excited about trying to make some rice crispy treats with some sugar free marshmallows I found at the grocery store! Honestly, I was just curious if it would work at all.
I would even call these sugar free rice crispy treats, except I didn’t realize the rice crispies did have a tiny bit of sugar in them.
With a typical rice crispy treats recipe, you’ll use:
- and rice crispies
Making them the classic way results in rice crispy treats that are 99 calories and 20 grams of carbs (with 11 grams of sugar!)
The substitutions for lower sugar, lower calorie crispy treats make them HALF the calories at 50 calories per bar, 11 grams of carbs, and only 1 gram of sugar! That’s a huge savings!
The substitutions were:
- Light butter
- and Sugar free marshmallows
That’s it! So, if you can find these sugar free marshmallows (I actually found them in the candy aisle and not by the other marshmallows), you should totally try these!
Low Calorie Rice Crispy Treats
- 3 cups rice cripsy cereal
- 1 1/2 tablespoon light butter
- 1 bag sugar free marshmallows 3.4 ounce bag
- 1 teaspoon sprinkles
- Melt butter with marshmallows, 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each 15 seconds. Do this 4-5 times until marshmallows and butter are melted together and smooth.
- Add 3 cups rice crispys to your marshmallows (and sprinkles if you are using them) and stir.
- Using your hands, take the cereal mixture and form it into a rectangle on parchment paper. Make it as wide or thick as you like. If sticky, spray hands with cooking spray and press cereal together so it stays in a form.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
PIN THIS FOR LATER AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thank you Amy! These are favorite all time treat! I wonder what P2B would taste like added?
ohhh!! That sounds like a good experiment!! I think I’ll try it.
How many servings does this recipe make?
Agh! sorry. I’ll edit the post to show it. These are the calories if you cut the rice crispies into 9 squares~!