These pumpkin waffles, made with high protein ingredients like egg whites and cottage cheese, have only 93 calories and 8 grams of protein each.
I’ve been making some variation of this low calorie, high protein, waffle or pancake, over and over. The original pancake with practically the same ingredients is here. The high protein, low calorie waffle can be found here. All three of these are similar (egg whites and oats), with only slight variations.
Once I decided to make a pumpkin waffle, I knew I wanted to use the same ingredients, but just add a little bit of pumpkin and pumpkin flavors. So, that’s what I did.
What ingredients are in the protein pumpkin waffle recipe?
So, I used
- Egg whites (I like the liquid egg whites in the cartons from Costco)
- Fat free cottage cheese. (probably could have left this out, and doubled the pumpkin, but I like the boost of protein from the cottage cheese.)
- Oats! Instead of flour, these become gluten free when you use oats. I like to blend the oats in a blender first, to turn it into oat flour. Then, I add the rest of the pumpkin ingredients.
- Pumpkin pie spice. Truth be told, I actually don’t have any of this right now. But I made my own using cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves and nutmeg. Super easy!
How do you lower the calories of the waffles?
Classic waffles can be made with a lot of butter and sugar, making them high in calories.
To keep these waffles sweet, I leave out any sugar, and just add sugar free syrup after the fact.
To keep these waffles high in protein and low in calories, egg whites are perfect.
So, give these waffles a try, and then also try the pumpkin chaffle if you need a waffle that’s also low in carbs!
Protein Pumpkin Waffles
- Waffle Iron
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/3 cup liquid egg whites
- 2 tablespoons fat free cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Blend all ingredients in a high powered blender, until oats are smooth. I will blend the oats to make oat flour first, and then add the rest of the ingredients and reblend.
- Spray a mini waffle iron with cooking spray (or normal size if you are just making 1 waffle)
- Using 1/4 cup measuring cup, pour half of the batter onto the waffle iron and cook till done. Then, the remaining batter.
- Remove from waffle iron and top with sugar free syrup or whipped topping.