This healthy apple crisp is a simple cinnamon and sugar baked apple with a crispy top. It takes 2 minutes in the microwave and then a crispy caramel rice cake crumbled on top.
This apple dessert is low in calories because I used a zero calorie sugar substitute and a caramel rice cake for crunch.
Why should you make this healthy apple crisp?
1) Baked apples are delicious!
For as long as I can remember, I’ve loved cooking apples with cinnamon and sugar in the microwave. I think it’s just as tasty as apple pie. The sweet, warm apples with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled lightly on top is the ultimate comfort food.
2) Single serving desserts help with portion control
Cut up one apple for this healthy apple crisp, and you have built in portion control! Certainly you can make extra apples, but you can only cook them one at a time anyway.
3) It only takes 2 minutes
Yes!! You read that right. In 2 minutes you can have your healthy apple crisp. Of course, traditional apple crisp takes a good solid hour to be ready to eat.
4) This apple crisp is healthy!
Just looking at the ingredients, this baked apple dessert is nutritionally equivalent to eating an apple! The cinnamon adds a little extra nutrients. Baking the apple allows the nutrients to become more bioavailable. And the sugar we are using has no calories.
Cooked apples are also easy on the stomach. Raw apples can be difficult for me to digest, and I’m not alone in that. If raw apples or dried apples gives you digestive issues, chances are cooked apples or applesauce could be tolerable.
So, I decided to make my usual microwave baked apple, but replace the sugar with some golden monk sugar I found at the grocery store to lower the calories.
So, the final recipe used:
- 1 apple
- Golden Monk Sugar
- and a caramel rice cake (this would also be delicious with an apple cinnamon flavored rice cake)
Then, all you’ll need to make this healthy apple crisp is 2 minutes:
- Cut the apple into bite sized chunks.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and the zero calorie sugar.
- Cook in the microwave for one minute.
- Take out and stir.
- Cook for one more minute.
- Crumble a rice cake on top!
Also, you could top your healthy apple crisp with whipped cream of yogurt. I’ve done both, and both are delicious.
PRINT FOR LATER!!
Healthy Apple Crisp
- 1 small Apple (100 grams)
- 1 tablespoon Golden Monk Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 crumbled Caramel rice cake (or Apple Cinnamon Rice Cake)
- Chop apple into bite sized pieces.
- Sprinkle sugar, cinnamon and water over the top.
- Cook in microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Stir apples, and return to microwave to cook for 1 more minute.
- Crumble rice cake over the top.
READ NEXT –> HEALTHY APPLE FRIES
Pin for later!