This recipe for two ingredient crepes is made with egg whites and oats. I’ve made many combinations of egg whites and oats recently. I love that they are gluten free, dairy free, and high in protein!
Recently, I made some high protein crepes with protein powder. While these are good, and certainly a great way to get protein, they are expensive to make. One scoop of protein powder will run you between $0.75 -3.00 per serving.
Also, the texture you get from making protein powder crepes takes a little getting used to. Which is why these crepes, with just egg whites and oats are a great alternative. They are cheaper, and the texture is as close to classic crepes as you can get.
What’s the difference between these crepes and regular crepes?
My basic crepe recipe is here. There are a few important differences between the two:
- Classic crepes have flour. This recipe has dry oats. When blended, the oats have a flour like consistency, so it’s a nice swap. I realize in some places oats are not considered gluten free. In the US however, when they are certified to be packaged in a compliant gluten free factory , they are officially gluten free.
- Classic crepes have sugar, and these do not. Honestly, do you really need sugar if you’re going to fill your crepes with fruit? Probably not!
- Classic crepes have milk. The milk thins out the crepes to give them that ULTRA thin pancake feel. These are thin just by adding more liquid (the egg whites) than dry ingredients.
I’ve also used the EXACT same recipe and ate it like a gluten free, high protein wrap here. Seriously, whether you call these crepes, wraps, or even gluten free tortillas, they are the perfect little package to transport some delicious fruit!
Can you believe the things you can do with just oats and egg whites??!
To make these crepes:
- Blend dry oats with egg whites.
- Pour onto a nonstick skillet. Flip when it looks like it’s not wet on the bottom.
- Once both sides are cooked, fill with your favorite crepe toppings, like strawberries and whipped cream.
This breakfast has a terrific balance of macros if you are following a macro plan. The calories and macros for this crepe is
- Calories: 60 Kcal
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Protein: 7g
- Fat: 0.5g
If you are following Bright Line Eating, this recipe complies!
Protein: 1 cup egg whites (or 1 egg and 1/2 cup egg whites)
Grain: 1/3 cup Oatmeal
Fruit: 6 ounces strawberries
Let me know if you make these, and don’t forget to pin this crepe recipe to your favorite healthy recipes board on Pinterest!