Fiber is important for our health but often overlooked for its benefits in weight loss.
Eating enough fiber from whole foods can help in your health and weight loss goals. Fiber rich foods can help lower blood pressure, improve insulin resistance, maintain gut health and bowel movements, help us feel full and can help lower cholesterol.
- Soluble fiber dissolves into water and turns into a gel during digestion. Peas, apples, oats, carrots and citrus all have soluble fiber.
- Insoluble fiber does not dissolve but absorbs water and provides bulk for stool, and helps us have regular bowel movements.
Many of us do not get enough fiber in our diet. Depending on the amount of calories you need effects how much fiber you should have.
Including fiber rich foods can be simple and easy. Some high fiber foods include:
- ½ cup has about 4 grams fiber
- Top yogurt with some or have a handful for a snack
2) Chia seeds
- 1 tbsp has about 5 grams fiber
- Sprinkle some on your oatmeal or in a smoothie
- ¼ an avocado have about 3.4 grams fiber
- Have avocado toast or top your tacos with some
- ½ cup has about 3.5 grams fiber
- Add some frozen ones to pasta or include fresh peas on salads
5) Lentils and beans
- ½ cup cooked have about 7 grams of fiber depending on the variety
- Add some to tacos or soups, or have some on salads
- ½ cup has about 4 grams of fiber
- Make oatmeal or make pancakes with oats.
7) Whole Wheat
- In one whole wheat tortilla there is about 3 grams
- Make a wrap or egg burrito
8) Vegetables like broccoli, brussel sprouts, eggplant and celery
- In one cup of these vegetables there is about 2-4 grams fiber
- Adding a side of veggies can help add some fiber
- Steam, roast or even have them fresh
Now that you have some ideas of fiber rich foods, try a recipe to include more fiber in your diet and get those health benefits.