Top your favorite 100 calorie mini bagel with these delicious egg white muffins and avocado! Perfect balanced macros for a healthy breakfast!
What are Egg Muffins?
Egg muffins are mini egg frittatas, baked in a muffin tin. Many people make them this way so they can grab one and go! It saves time on busy mornings, and eggs are a healthy way to start the day.
To be fair, I’ve never been a fan of egg muffins. Beyond day 1, I find they are a bit soggy for my taste. Plus, eggs don’t take very long to make anyway, so the idea of making them ahead of time didn’t seem to save me any time.
However, I broke my egg muffin ban because they are the perfect size to place on top of a mini bagel!
I love the mini bagels, because they are 100 calories. Thin bagels, which are also 100 calories, are OK, but I like the thick, chewy taste of the mini ones. The thin ones might as well just be a flat piece of bread.
So, with the 100 calorie mini bagel toasted, and spread with avocado, I made some egg white cups to top them off.
I kept the egg white muffins thin, because a tall one wouldn’t fit in my mouth.
Among 10 muffin cups, I used 1 cup of egg whites plus one whole egg.
Then, to keep the calories low, I simply sprinkled on fat free cheddar cheese.
Because I decided to top these on half of a bagel (for 50 calories), I was able to use only 5 total mini bagels.
The result of the half of a bagel, plus cheese, plus egg white muffin, plus avocado was: 100 calories, 7 grams of protein1 11 grams carbs, and 3 grams of fat!
Grab the recipe for my low calorie zucchini muffins here!
Low Calorie Egg White Muffin Bites
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 medium egg
- 2 ounces fat free cheddar cheese
- 5 mini bagels (100 calories each)
- optional everything but the bagel seasoning
- Whisk egg whites and egg into a small cup.
- Prepare a muffin tin by spraying with cooking spray, 10 of the cups. Or, line 10 cups with silicone muffin cups.
- Pour egg whites equally into the 10 cups. It will be a small amount in each cup. This makes your egg muffin thin, and easier to eat on a bagel! You don't want it too tall.
- Sprinkle the egg muffins with fat free cheddar cheese, equally among all ten muffins.
- Bake in oven at 425 for about 8-10 minutes, or until eggs are cooked.
- While eggs are cooking, split each bagel and toast. Spread mashed avocado among all bagel halves.
- Top each bagel half with an egg muffin.