This sweet potato casserole with pecans is the perfect side dish for any family dinner. With 180 calories per serving, we love it for Thanksgiving alongside a turkey, but we don’t hesitate to make it for any day of the week.Jump to Recipe
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
Before losing weight, I rarely ate sweet potatoes. It wasn’t because I didn’t like them, but it just never crossed my mind to have them on days other than Thanksgiving!
However, since competing in 4 bikini shows, sweet potatoes have become a staple in my diet. Most weeks I will have one or two sweet potatoes. I rarely go a week without eating one.
Which is why I wanted to make sweet potato casserole, but a little bit healthier, so I can stay on track during the holidays.
Ingredients in Sweet Potato Casserole
While you’ll find a variety of recipes online, most of them have the same few ingredients: sweet potatoes, sugar, milk, and eggs for the base. And a variety of toppings from a marshmallow layer to sugared pecans, or a crumble.
While I kept the staple ingredients the same, I was able to make the sweet potato casserole healthier just by reducing the sugar in the sweet potato part, and lightening up the pecan crumb on top for the topping.
My final ingredient list looked like this:
- Sweet potatoes
- White sugar
- Light butter
- Brown sugar
The process was simple. I first
- Cooked the sweet potatoes. I used an instant pot, but you can cook sweet potatoes with any method you choose.
- Then, mixed the sweet potatoes with the eggs, sugar, and milk.
- Layered them in the casserole dish.
In a separate bowl, I melted the light butter and mixed it with the brown sugar and pecans.
Then, I topped the sweet potatoes with this mix, and baked it for about 20 minutes to caramelize the top.
Honestly, I am always surprised how simple this is.
Healthier Sweet Potato Casserole
- Casserole Dish 9X13
- 5 medium sweet potatoes cooked (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 dash salt to taste
- 1/4 cup I can't believe it's not butter spread melted
- 4 ounces chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Cook the sweet potatoes. Scoop the flesh out from the skin until you get 4 cups of flesh. I cooked my sweet potatoes in the instant pot for about 40 minutes.
- Using a hand mixer, mix the cooked sweet potato with eggs, milk, sugar, and salt.
- Spread the sweet potatoes in a 9X13 casserole dish.
- Melt the light butter in a bowl and mix with pecans and brown sugar.
- Spread the pecan mixture on top of the sweet potatoes in the casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
PIN THIS FOR LATER AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!