This is not your typical high calorie Applebee’s meal. Instead, this chicken fajita rollup is low in carbs, low in calories, high in nutrients, and so much better for you!
This chicken fajita rollup is simply another way to eat more chicken if you are trying to hit a goal for eating more protein.
So often I wake up thinking about food. Yesterday, I woke up thinking, “What if I flatten my chicken, flat enough to pretend to be a tortilla?”
Haha.. Well, it’s a thing already, as it should be. Because these are awesome!
To make these chicken rollups.
This healthy dinner is not to be confused with Applebee’s chicken fajita rollups. While the restaurant wraps look like a healthy option, they actually have 1500 calories! Hard to believe because all it really includes is a tortilla, chicken, and stuffed with fajita stuff like peppers!
This Chicken fajita rollup however ditches the tortilla, leaving you with a high protein, low carb, and low calorie dinner. It would fit perfectly with this 1200 calorie low carb meal plan!
For this I used:
- ✔️ 1/2 a chicken breast- pounded out on the counter till flat enough not to fray.
- ✔️1/2 of a sliced up a pepper.
- ✔️ 1 teaspoon fajita seasonings
The first time I made these, I cooked the chicken , and THEN rolled them with some sauteed peppers inside. But, then I did some online searches for other stuffed chicken ideas, and most people were rolling the filling up with the raw chicken. Then, they browned the chicken in a hot skillet. And then they baked it to make sure the chicken was cooked through.
This process was a lot easier!
This may have been a little more labor intensive than it needed to be. When I looked up others making it, they rolled the peppers with their chicken raw. Then, they browned the outside, and then baked the chicken rollups until it was cooked through. That probably would be easier. Next time!
Final nutrition info for one chicken fajita rollup:
- ?139 calories
- ?27 g protein
- ?1 g carb
- ?3 g fat
Healthy Chicken Fajita Rollup
- meat tenderizer
- 1/2 large chicken breast
- 1/2 medium pepper
- 1 teaspoon fajita seasoning
- Using a meat tenderizer, pound a chicken breast out onto the counter. You can use a cutting board below, and a piece of wax paper between the meat and your tenderizer to minimize splatter of your chicken. 4 ounces of chicken is ideal.
- Slice a pepper, any color.
- roll pepper up into your chicken breast, and secure with toothpicks.
- Sprinkle fajita seasoning on the chicken rollup.
- Heat a skillet and add cooking spray. Brown your chicken rollup on all sides and sear the seam.
- Heat oven to 375 and bake chicken fajita rollup until the chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes. Use a meat thermometer and wait until the temperature reaches 165.
If you want more healthy meal ideas, follow me on Pinterest!