Low Calorie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Save over 270 calories by using these low calorie grilled cheese sandwich ingredients. 45 calorie slices of bread, thin sliced cheese, and cooking spray!Jump to Recipe
The calories and macros for the ingredients I used in this low calorie grilled cheese sandwich was 130 calories, 16 grams protein, 19 g carbs, and 11 grams of fat.
Healthy Substitutions for this Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Grilled cheese sandwiches, the ultimate comfort food, has been avoided by dieters for decades. Generally, a GREAT grilled cheese sandwich might have 400 calories or more, and lot’s of fat to make it extra tasty.
I promise though, with a few quick swaps, you can enjoy your grilled cheese sandwich, and still lose weight (or at least stay on track with your diet).
- The first switch I made was instead of a classic slice of bread, I used 45 calorie Sara Lee bread. (click here for a list of low calorie breads I like). Normally, bread has around 110-120 calories per slice. So, with two slices at 220-240 calories vs. two slices of Sara Lee at 90 calories, you save already 130 calories.
- The second swap is to use low calorie cheese, like this Ultra Thin sliced cheese from Sargento (40 calories), or even a slice of Velveeta for 35 calories. Since a 1 ounce slice of cheese is 110 calories, this saves you 70 calories.
- And finally, instead of using butter to spread on your bread and put on the skillet, I use butter flavored cooking spray. If you used 1 teaspoon of butter on each slice of bread, that’s another 70 calories saved!
Total calories saved = 270 calories!
How to make this Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
For this, and any grilled cheese sandwich, you ‘ll want to heat a skillet on medium high. You don’t want this too hot, or you won’t get the nice toasty bread, and melted cheese that makes grilled cheese so good.
Spray two slices of the low calorie bread with cooking spray.
Place one slice on your hot skillet. Top it with the thin sliced cheese.
Place the second piece of bread on top of your cheese, with the cooking spray side of the bread on the outside.
Cook on both sides until toasty and warm!
Make it a balanced meal!
This lunch is complete when you add something from all the food groups! I like to use my portion control plates to keep every meal balanced.
So, for this healthy lunch, my food groups included:
- GRAINS & DAIRY The low calorie bread and cheese for the grilled cheese.
- PROTEIN: Plain Greek yogurt with sugar free maple syrup
- VEGGIES: cucumbers and peppers
- FRUIT: Strawberries
Low calorie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices sara lee 45 calorie bread
- 1 slice thin sliced colby jack cheese 40 calorie slices.
- 1 spray butter flavored cooking spray
- Spray both slices of bread with cooking spray.
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat.
- Spray side down, add one slice of bread to the skillet. Top it with the slice of cheese, and then add the second slice of bread to the top, spray side up.
- Cook both sides of sandwich slowly, until bread becomes toasty, and cheese gets melted.
PIN THIS FOR LATER AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Using cooking spray on nonstick skillets will ruin the pan and can create toxic reaction.
This is so awesome! Guilt free grilled cheese, thanks!
Low calorie grilled cheese?!?! This means I can have two, right? 😂
A guilt free grilled cheese? Sign me up!
Loved using Colby Jack cheese. It was delicious!
So easy and delicious! Thank you for sharing this low calorie option!
Grilled cheese is one of my guilty pleasures! I am so glad to have found a lower calorie version! I will be making it much more often!
I love a grilled cheese and a low fat one makes it even better!
Yum! I love grilled cheese! Thanks for the tips on how to reduce calories.
Yes. Love me some grilled cheese!!