This low fat, healthy cheesy chicken dip recipe is bowl licking delicious! Seriously. I licked the bowl. This dip is made with low fat cheese and canned chicken to give you 22 grams of protein, 7 grams of carbs, and only 4 grams of fat!
Why I made this chicken dip
I wanted to make a variation of the buffalo chicken dip, but leave out the hot sauce! So, that’s exactly what I did.
What substitutes make this dip healthier?
I wanted to make my dish lower in calories and make it healthier, and I knew I could substitute some of the high calorie, high fat cheeses to do it.
So, I set out to find some fat free cheeses at my local grocery stores. I’m not going to lie, this was no easy task! It seems fat free cheese isn’t really a thing any more, and most stores don’t carry it.
Here is where I found the low fat cheeses:
- Fat free cheddar. Walmart was the ONLY store that carried this. It was the store brand, and it was right by the regular cheese.
- Fat free feta– This I found at my regular grocery store, Macey’s. Which is an Associated Foods store if you have one of those.
- Laughing cow cheese– always low fat, and I get this at Costco! They have the best price for this cheese and I eat this a lot.
- Fat free sour cream. They have this everywhere. Very easy to find.
- The most difficult ingredient of all was fat free cream cheese. I went to every single store in my county, and no one carried it. I knew some friends had got some fat free cream cheese from our Smith’s (Kroger brand) store, so I went there. But nothing. So, I got home and placed an online order, because their website DID show they carried it. Well, when I went to pick up my order, even though I marked NO SUBSTITUTES, they gave me 1/3 fat cream cheese. I had to make do. A lot of the calories, and almost ALL the fat is in this dish from that one ingredient. Bummer. Cause I would have liked to try it with fat free cream cheese.
How to make this healthy cheesy chicken dip.
Mix and bake is all you need to make this cheesy chicken dip. It really couldn’t be easier! I simply
- chopped my mushrooms and green onions and drained the chicken.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, except the fat free cheddar cheese.
- Placed in an 8X8 pan and sprinkled the cheddar and a few more green onions on top.
- Then, baked it till it was hot and bubbly.
Once it came out of the oven, I actually ate it with a spoon, even though I intended to use it to eat my veggies. But, for real, it was delicious enough to just eat from the spoon.
My husband ate some spread on a tortilla, and this was AMAZING too! I can think of a million different things I would spread this cheesy chicken dip on.
I did eventually eat a second serving with cucumbers and celery, and it was perfection. The whole 8X8 dish I split into four servings, because I can’t just eat a dainty tablespoon. But if you can, a tablespoon of this is only 30 calories!
Print the recipe below so you can make it soon!
Healthy Cheesy Chicken Dip
- 1 12 ounce canned chicken drained
- 4 tablespoons 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 2 ounces fat free feta cheese crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fat free sour cream
- 1 wedge laughing cow cheese
- 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning
- 1/4 cup mushrooms finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup fat free cheddar cheese shredded
- Get all ingredients. Drain chicken, chop onions, and mushrooms.
- Combine drained chicken from a can with softened cream cheese, fat free feta cheese, fat free sour cream, laughing cow cheese, ranch seasoning, 1/2 the green onions and mushrooms.
- Spray an 8X8 pan with cooking spray. Dump creamy chicken mixture into pan and sprinkle fat free cheddar on top.
- Sprinkle rest of chopped green onions on top of cheese.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until dish looks hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and serve with vegetables like cucumbers and celery.
Let me know if you try this healthy version of cheesy chicken dip! Tag me on Instagram at @health_beet and show me your chicken!
READ NEXT –> High Protein Cucumber Tuna Boats