With just two ingredients, protein powder and a frozen banana, you can have the ultimate protein ice cream sundae’s! No one can deny this healthy ice cream is so good, you’ll think you’re cheating on your diet!Jump to Recipe
This protein powder ice cream sundae has 166 calories, 13 grams of protein, 30 grams of carbs, and only 1 gram of fat!
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
Protein Shake Ice Cream Recipe
On Sunday, we had some friends over for Ice Cream sundae’s! So, having a variety of toppings in my pantry, I’ve been making some protein ice cream for myself and it TASTES LIKE HEAVEN!!
Protein Powder Ice Cream Ingredients
- 1/2 scoop (15 grams) Vanilla Protein powder. Check out my protein powder taste test winners here)
- 1 frozen banana
What type of protein powder is best for ice cream?
My go-to protein powder for ice cream is the Clean Simple Eats brand. Not only does it have a variety of flavors to start with, that means you don’t need to add a lot of mix-ins or extra ingredients to create new flavors of ice cream. Clean simple eats is 100% Whey and only 100 calories per scoop.
How to Make Healthy Ice Cream Sundaes with High Protein
I blend it in a food processor until smooth and creamy. Just like soft serve! In order to make the smooth and creamy sundae texture, you must start with frozen bananas, and you must use a food processor!
Here’s some variations that I’ve been experimenting with:
Protein Icecream Low Calorie Add-Ins
While the protein sundaes are delicious alone, is it really a sundae if you don’t have yummy toppings and flavor add-ins? An Ice cream sundae bar should have A LOT of options! I found a few ways to flavor the ice cream that added NO calories, kept it healthy, but included a lot of taste!
- Extracts and flavorings. These are little bottles like vanilla extract, but there is also almond extract, cake batter, caramel extract, lemon extract, orange etc! There are so many extracts and flavorings in your local baking aisle beyond vanilla extract these days. Take a look next time you’re at the store!
- Zero calorie, Sugar free syrups from Skinny mixes HOLY HANNAH!!! I bought all the dessert syrups, and the sundae in my video above has the cookie dough syrup! SO GOOD!! (Affiliate link and Discount Code for skinny mixes: Healthbeet)
Healthy Ice Cream Sundae Low Calorie Topping Ideas
Finding low calorie toppings for ice cream sundaes isn’t that hard! After all, you only need a tiny amount for a sundae topping, so even an indulgent topping won’t add too many calories if you are smart.
But, here are some of my favorite lower calorie toppings for Ice cream sundaes!
- Whipped cream – OF COURSE. Only 15 calories for 2 tablespoons
- Walden Farms Caramel dip (0 calories) I use this stuff A LOT!! It’s also, much tastier than the Walden Farms Caramel syrup or sauce. Trust me, you want the DIP- not the sauce
- Fat free Hershey’s chocolate syrup (MUCH tastier than their sugar free bottle, for the same calories)
- Maraschino cherries 10 calories
- Chopped nuts (1 tablespoon 45 calories)
- Berries! Always low in calories
- Shredded coconut.. Use only a sprinkling, and you won’t be adding very many calories.
- 1 teaspoon of crushed cookies or crackers like graham crackers
- Cereal! Cereal or granola makes a delicious ice cream sundae topping.
- Cool whip. With 15-25 calories for two tablespoons, cool whip is a great ice cream topping choice.
How to store Ice Cream with High Protein
After you make the ice cream, if you don’t eat it all, you can definitely store it in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat it again, you’d want to partially thaw it long enough to scoop into your food processor and re-mix it.
Do you have a low calorie add-in or topping you like?
If you like this Protein Shake Ice Cream, You might also like:
Protein Icecream Sundae with Zero Calorie Caramel
- 1/2 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (CSE) 15 grams
- 1 medium frozen banana
- Using a FROZEN banana, blend it in a food processor with the protein powder until smooth and creamy. Just like soft serve! It might take 60-120 seconds, but keep blending until it's smooth. Do not thaw the banana first. it must be frozen.
PIN THIS FOR LATER AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!