Including veggies in your diet can provide so many health benefits! Add one of these delicious veggie side dishes to your next meal!!
I recently learned that June 17th is National Eat All Your Veggies Day! Who would’ve thought that veggies would get their own holiday?!
I love that someone decided to celebrate vegetables. In all honesty, I didn’t always enjoy eating vegetables. However, throughout my health journey I have come to LOVE them. Many different types are low calorie, making it easy to bulk up a meal without adding on a ton of calories.
In fact, many can even count as “free foods”, because they are so low calorie. For example, things like cucumbers, lettuce and celery.
So, definitely check out the recipes below for low calorie veggie side dishes. Whether you bring them to a gathering or just add them to your own dinner table, you will love how many options there are for including vegetables in your eating!
Side Dishes with Vegetables
Wanting to add a veggie side dish to your meal? Try one of these! Choose My Plate shows that about half of your meal should be comprised of fruits and veggies. That can sound daunting, but don’t worry. Regularly including vegetables in your diet is easy when you have recipes that taste this good!
1.Chickpea Salad – Have you seen my 7 day Mediterranean meal plan? This Chickpea Salad Recipe would fit right in with it! And what’s even better, you can make this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad in less than 20 minutes for an easy, delicious side dish!
Serving size: 1.5 cups –> 162 calories, 6g fat, 20g carbs, and 8g protein.
2. Instant Pot Green Beans with Garlic – These perfectly steamed Instant Pot Green Beans have a fresh, crunchy texture, and are so easy to make! The only change I would make to this recipe is using butter flavored spray rather than an actual tablespoon of butter. This helps you get the flavor of butter without all the fat! With a little garlic and lemon juice, this is a delicious side dish for any meal.
Serving Size: 1/2 the recipe –> 88 calories, 6g fat, 9g carbs, 2g protein
3. Asian Carrot and Kale Salad – Low on time? This salad doesn’t require any cooking, making it a great side for when you’re in a time crunch! Within minutes you can make and dress this Asian carrot and Kale salad. It’s a very complimentary side to teriyaki chicken, stir fry, or lo-mein.
Serving Size: 1/2 the recipe –> 178 calories, 9g fat, 23g carbs, 5g protein
4. Zucchini Tomato Bake – If you’ve tried my summer veggie skillet dish, you’ll probably LOVE this Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake. It’s an easy way to use up all your summer vegetables. Fresh, healthy and full of flavor- it’s the perfect side dish!
Serving Size: 1 cup –> 75 calories, 6g fat, 4g carbs, 3g protein
5. Avocado Caprese Salad – This avocado caprese salad is a favorite of mine. I love anything caprese, but this avocado in this takes it to a new level. Plus, it has balanced macros! What’s not to love about that?!
Serving Size: 1/2 the recipe –> 120 calories, 7g fat, 7g carbs, 7g protein
6. Spicy Cucumber Salad – If you haven’t noticed, I am a big fan of cucumbers. Hence my recipes for Cinnamon cucumbers, Chili lime cucumbers, and Cucumber Tuna Boats. Like those other dishes, this Asian Spicy Cucumber Salad is crispy, refreshing, and a great snack, side dish, or garnish. And it only takes 10 minutes to make!
Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe –> 52 calories, 2g fat, 6g carbs, eg protein
7. Corn Mango Salsa – This colorful corn mango salsa is a perfect addition to any summer get together. The combination of sweet mango, tangy lime, fresh cilantro, and fresh corn all tossed in one bowl creates bold flavors that go well with a side of chips or on top of a taco.
Serving Size: 120g or 1/6 of the recipe –> 88 calories, 4g fat, 7g carbs, 1g protein
8. Cheesy Cauliflower Steak – I’m a big fan of cauliflower recipes, so this recipe makes me excited! I mean, look at those roasted cauliflower steaks cooked to perfection with their caramelized edges and gooey cheese. Definitely try this veggie side dish alongside your favorite protein.
Serving Size: 1 cauliflower steak –> 179 calories, 11g fat, 15g carbs, 9g protein
9. Zucchini Fritters – Crispy on the outside, and soft in the center, these zucchini fritters are great for any holiday party or gathering. They are inexpensive to make and oh so delicious!
Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe –> 79 calories , 3g fat, 10g carbs, 5g protein
10. Cauliflower Stuffing – Lots of people feel torn around the holidays, because they want to enjoy their food, but also don’t want to re-gain all the weight they have worked off. That’s where this Savory Cauliflower Stuffing comes in. It has the classic stuffing flavor but contains no bread! It’s the best of both worlds.
Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe –> 120 calories, 8g fat, 10g carbs, 4g protein
11. Orange Fennel Salad – This vibrant side salad is packed with flavor and ready in minutes. If you’re ok with fruit in your salad, definitely give this recipe a try. The orange adds a citrusy tanginess that just works!
Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe –> 170 calories
12. Roasted Eggplant – Roasted Eggplant is a flavorful and delightful low-calorie side dish that ranks high on the favorites list. Roasting transforms the eggplant into tender, caramelized bite-size pieces that are perfect for dips or as an addition to pasta and salads. So good!
Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe –> 119 calories, 9g fat, 9g carbs, 2g protein
13. Parmesan Roasted Tomatoes – This recipe actually came from me seeing something similar at a restaurant and deciding I’d find a way to make it at home for cheaper. I am obsessed with how they turned out and definitely recommend making them as a low calorie addition to any meal.
Serving Size: 1 slice –> 40 calories, 2g fat, 3g carbs, 3g protein
As you can see, adding a veggie side dish doesn’t have to mean boring old broccoli or brussel sprouts. Instead, there are all kinds of colorful, flavor-filled recipes that are also low calorie!
Leave a comment with your favorite veggie side dish to include in meals.